SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new Orion AstroView 90mm EQ refractor: setting circle question

I've been stargazing with binoculars for a while, but last week I finally took the plunge and ordered my first telescope, an Orion Astroview 90mm equatorial-mounted refractor.  It's working great, except that I'm not sure whether I understand how to use the Right Ascension setting circle.  

First I followed the instructions for polar alignment.  Then, to calibrate the RA setting circle, I found the coordinates of a star and pointed the telescope at it.  I then loosened the thumbs screw for the RA setting circle pointer, allowing the setting circle to rotate freely.  I rotated the circle until the pointer indicated the RA coordinated for the star.  All fine.

This is where I get stumped.  The instructions now demonstrate how to find a second star from its coordinates.  I loosen the declination lock knob and rotate the scope until the Dec. value matches that of the new star.  Then I lock down the Dec axis.  Next the instructions say "loosen the RA lock knob and rotate the scope until the RA value from the star atlast matches the reading on the RA setting circle."  Well, when I rotate the scope, the pointer remains pointing at the same fixed point on the circle.  The RA number doesn't change, in other words.  I'm a bit worried it's not operating correctly.  Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Selek, the setting circles on many smaller mounts are not really accurate enough to locate the said object.  Better to get to know the sky a bit better and find your objects by star hopping.  A very good book often recommended here is 'Turn Left At Orion', get yourself a copy of this and forget the setting circles.  Book found here: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411384904&sr=1-1&keywords=turn+left+at+orion

Setting-Circles that come as stock on many scopes/mounts of the equatorial genre are highly unlikely to be of much, or any, assistance in locating objects. Confusing and distracting people who are trying to learn the sky - they excel at doing. rwilkey gave you excellent counsel above. 'Left Turn at Orion' will get you going much better than pulling your hair out trying to use setting-circles to navigate by.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Thanks for the replies!  I went ahead and ordered "Turn Left at Orion"; looks like a great resource.  I already own "Nightwatch", but "Orion" looks like it focuses even more on what I should expect to see in my scope.

As for the specific issue I raised, I think I figured it out: the pointer on my Right Ascension dial was getting stuck as it rotated.  I fussed with it a bit, and now it spins freely.  Experimenting with the setting circles now, using "Starwalk" to approximate stellar positions, just to get the hang of how RA and Dec work.  In practice, I'll star-hop, but I want to learn the basics of the coordinate system too.

Thanks again.

Archived