SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open spaces, central London

bernsel

I have been to the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers meeting at the Hub in Regents Park, which is a great place for star gazing (except the light pollution). But Regents Park is normally closed at night, and just specially open for the BSIA evenings. And that is only once per month.

Does anyone have tips for open spaces in London that are accessible at night, and where it might be worth taking the telescope? I know of Black Heath but that is a bit far from me, as I live in Marylebone. I was thinking of Primrose Hill, but not sure if that is open at night or not. Are there any other open spaces you can think of?

Hi Bernsel

My knowledge only really extends through north / north west London from when I used to live in Mill Hill. The light pollution within the north circular is fairly terrible, but Hampstead Heath offers some protection from direct glare. There are a few paths off from the roundabout on the road that links Hampstead itself to Golders Green. Alternatively, just on the Golders Green side is Golders Hill Park (behind a building called Ivy House and opposite a nice pub called The Bull & Bush); this park slopes away to the West and can give some nice skies - you could even get the odd photo opportunity of the Moon / Venus / Jupiter setting over the Wembley arch!

Further out still is Scratchwood Open Space, off the A1 just south of Borehamwood. I used to observe from there quite frequently; occasionally it is frequented by, er, those engaging in less than wholesome activities, but it's not a bad site. Might be a bit far for you, though.

Good luck!

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip! Hampstead Heath is definitely within reach, so I will try that some night. But I was actually thinking something even closer (and more light polluted), such as a small open patch somewhere in central London. Just to be able to stroll there and at least get some views straight up into the sky if nothing else. So additional tips, thoughts and ideas are welcome as well! :-)

Hi bernsel,

regret I cant help with sites in London, but I am following your exploits with interest !

Hampstead Heath was one of my favourite spots a long time ago,

but if I said I also observed Comet Ikeya-Seki above the Albert Memorial

that would indicate how long ago my astro time in London was !

I wondered about Richmond Park, but upon googling I see that it is closed at night !what is the world coming to?!

Good luck,

and if needs-be you'll just have to de-camp to the suburbs over here in the west country ! :)

How about Hyde Park? Pretty wide sky if you can get out in the middle. There are some squares near you (Manchester, Cavendish and a couple more tho I'm not sure how much tree cover they have). Obviously, security & safety are factors but I think London can be a damn sight safer than some small towns I've had the misfortune to be stuck in at night.

My other thought (bear with me, they don't come often) may seem a bit odd, but....canal towpaths? Regents Canal should be near you, may be worth an explore. Just don't fall - or get pushed - in!

You'll probably know this already, Bernsel but there are two aspects of light pollution. The first is the combined glow of artificial light. There’s not much you can do about ambient light pollution, known as sky glow. The only thing is to go as far away from London as possible and perhaps making that one of your life's missions; taking up Ptarmigan's offer of moving to Somerset, or may I suggest some of the desert lands in Spain :p .

The other aspect is the direct sources of light - street lamps, security lights, car headlamps, neighbours' windows – and fortunately, these are more easily dealt with. You can get away from these immediate problems by just going round a corner or standing where a bush is in the way of that irritating lamp.

Another important thing I learnt whilst living in a city, is to try and create your own dark spot. Any back garden with bushes blocking some light will probably be okay, as with any flat roof top. There’s always somewhere - graveyards, car parks, school playing fields, heaths, a mate's garden etc – just make sure the owner’s okay with it.

Sorry Ptarmigan, came over all a bit Toad of Toad Hall there!

Sometimes I just sit in the road, goggle-eyed, going 'poop poop....'

:D

Heheee ! No worries :)

(southern US accent)

Sometimes I jess set and think,

sometimes I jess set

(/poor accent}

Apols to our colonial couzinz ;)

Bushy and richmond are open at night, though not around this time of year. Fairly dark, I know a guy who uses bushy park. I once caught hale bopp from near the Olympia exhibition centre... Bright chap! I would consider looking for large sports grounds and open spaces. Wimbledon common is open all the time and pretty close in too.

All the best

Petwr

Bushy Park is about as dark as it gets in London, although I hear that Epping Forest isn't bad. Somewhere around High Beeches could be a possibility?

DD

High Beech certainly has a nice open aspect looking West...carparks too, on top of the hill right next to where one could observe from ( headlights could be diminished by going down the slope some). Fair to good pub at the bottom of the hill (Duke of Wellington). Popular spot but less so on a winter's night mebbe....I used to nightride up there all the time on my mtb.

Hmm...this sounds like a venue for an East London meet! I may cycle up there with bins one night to check out the dark sky possibilities. 

Archived