SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

£165 which skywatcher to buy

Hi All

tis me again , this is a xmas present for a total keen novice 

I have narrowed in down to two telescopes and wondered if someone could tell me if the motorised version is better than the non motorised

I have tried to make sense of the differences but its a bit too much for me to figure out 

the two scopes are

skywatcher explorer 130p ( eq-2  - £165

or 

skywatcher  130m ( eq-2  - £165

can he take photos on the laptop with both or am I making that part up :)

for the money if anyone has any other scopes to throw in the hat please feel free

thanks for your time , much appreciated 

sparkle :)

Hiya Sparkle,

Both motorised and non motorised have their merits. After much experimenting and mind changing I have settled on manual controls simply because there is less to go wrong an you don't need power to run it, there is also less kit to carry about when traveling. However, having said that a motorised mount is very useful to follow objects and may appeal more to someone starting out in astronomy.

Hope this helps

Shaun

The F5 version uses a parabolic mirror, which is required for better image quality in a short focal length scope. The F7 version uses a spherical mirror, which is fine in a scope of longer focal length.

The F5 scope will give a slightly lower power (mag) with a wider field of view, it will be good for DSO's and sky sweeping. The F7 model with its longer focal length will be better on the moon and planets. The motor drive is required for these really.

Steve

Archived