Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spotty-ish Solar Sunday?

Luke

Looks like there will be some nice spots/active regions to gawp at today if we get lucky! The proms on Gong are looking lively at the moment too (though can someone check if El Teide has subsided?). My fingers are crossed that the clouds will at last take a break at some point our way today, I have the shakes after six sunless day. Good luck! PS Latest SDO thumb below if it works! :D

latest_256_HMII.jpg

Ive just set up Luke and I have to say the sun is looking fab --- woohoo six long days without a sniff :laugh:

Ha

You will be pleased to see Luke the caterpillar is back with a bang and is looking very long indeed sitting pretty around the 6 O'clock position.

There is a huge prom in the 5 O'clock position going hell for leather at the moment, there are also a whole host of proms between between the 10 & 1 O'clock positions :laugh:

The granulation effect is perfect with lots of swirls filaments and a nice bit of plage thrown in toward the bottom of the disc :smiley:

White light

As Luke says there is a string of sunspots positioned in almost a straight line going from the centre of the disc all the way down to the 6 O'clock position. ( slightly different from the pic above)

I am so looking forward to today, fingers crossed the forecast is right as we will have a whole day of sun & stars tonight

Why isn't everybody who has solar equipment up viewing the sun ? Its looking brilliant.

Fire up your pilot light on all these new Quarks and go outside.

Imagine if we were positioned at a nice safe distance from the Ablireo pair, just for one day, so that we were able see them like we do our own sun do you think we would all still be in bed ? :police:

There are 5 brilliant proms to see,1 giant at the 5 O'clock position and a 4 loop string in the 12 O'clock ( yes a 4 loop string :shocked: ) most spectacular ...Loving this Leia zoom

Wohoo! Had a nice session this morning to break my duck.

In h-alpha for me the stars today where firstly the proms, with a lot of interesting ones spread around the disc. One looked to me like two trees, one had shed all its leaves after being struck by lightning in the recent storms, and the other was fanning out with all its leaves. A huge double structure prom was the other side, I couldn't imagine a shape for it, it felt like the Sun had erupted violently. There was also a massive hedge-shaped prom with a hole in the middle, where a dog (or dragon) must have run through :D

Also amazing in h-alpha were the filaments. I loved panning across the disc following a trail of these massive structures which lead up to the double prom eruption.

I thought the newbie spots looked best in white light, especially the dense region of new spots. What a lovely Sun, good luck everyone getting a look-in!

Got my fix today ,its been 6 days cloud for me. What a fantastic sight at 9 this morning and the caterpillar is still as good as the Sun fell behind the mountain.Fingers crossed for tonight but clouds seem to be incoming at the moment in mid Wales...

Why isn't everybody who has solar equipment up viewing the sun ? Its looking brilliant.

Fire up your pilot light on all these new Quarks and go outside.

Imagine if we were positioned at a nice safe distance from the Ablireo pair, just for one day, so that we were able see them like we do our own sun do you think we would all still be in bed ? :police:

There are 5 brilliant proms to see,1 giant at the 5 O'clock position and a 4 loop string in the 12 O'clock ( yes a 4 loop string :shocked: ) most spectacular ...Loving this Leia zoom

Thick cloud here, had obs'y roof open and scope ready all day, Quark still on a slow boat from USA  :grin:

Dave

Archived