SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Yet Another Triple Imaging Rig

Gina

Sorry for lack of report - been too busy :(

I'm going off the idea of using the Evostars and thinking of trying an ST80 until I get more Esprits.  I'm planning to get a third 460EX camera sooner rather than later even if I have to buy it new as I want it for the widefield rig.  That would mean the scope rig could consist of Esprit for Ha and ST80 for OIII.  If the ST80 proves usable I could get another or wait until I get another Esprit for OIII and use the ST80 I have for SII.  Depending on the test results it may be that ST80s would do for both SII and OIII. 

From looking carefully at DSO images it would seem that the detail is mainly in the Ha, so with a good quality Ha scope we might get away with lower quality for the OIII and SII.  In any case, it seems to me that the contribution that SII makes to most DSO images is so small that it would be wasteful to spend a lot on a scope for SII alone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An update...

The ST80 has proved quite suitable for NB DSO imaging with the Atik 460EX mono CCD camera and I have a dual imaging rig working well.  Now as for adding a third imaging combo is concerned, I can't afford a third 460EX yet so I'm going to try the 314L+ on an old Vivitar film SLR telephoto lens - 300mm @ f5.5 which would give a similar FOV.  I think this is going to struggle, particularly as the camera resolution is not really good enough for binning and I'm not sure if the lens will be any good at full aperture.  I usually stop down for astro imaging but I wouldn't really be happy to stop down f5.5 :(  Anyway, I'm going to try it :D

I have adapters/extension tubes to bring the focal plane to the 45mm back focus of the lens and have 3D printed a 1.25" filter holder to fit inside an extension tube.

A bit later...  Just been mounting the lens onto the ali plate and have found a serious problem :(  Where the tripod mounting ring is fitted the lens body is in separate parts that have serious play in the joint.  ATM I can't see any way of getting this apart to fix the problem :(

Using my illuminated desk magnifier (in addition to reading glasses) I can now see some tiny screws - smaller than the screws in Canon DSLR cameras and also with flat slot rather than Philips :(  Looks like this is a non-starter.  I think this lens is on its last legs or even expired.  The focus sleeve is very stiff and the iris is firmly stuck wide open.  Unless I can find a very tiny watchmakers screwdriver and can get the lens apart the slack is so bad that both focus and alignment (and image movement) is going to be impossible.  Maybe one of my 200mm f4 lenses might be a better bet even with the wider FOV.  I dunno! :(

Fed up with messing about and getting nowhere, I've just ordered an ST80 OTA from FLO :D  I may be able to squeeze the cost of an Atik 460EX on Monday ie. next month when my pension goes into my bank.

Very interesting set-up.    What software do you use to capture the data ?

For example if you use Maxim Dl, would you open 2 instances of the software  for 2 cameras or use a separate laptop for each camera.

cheers

Paul

For example if you use Maxim Dl, would you open 2 instances of the software  for 2 cameras or use a separate laptop for each camera.

cheers

Paul

Should your bank manager be trembling here, Paul???  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: If so, mine should be able to recommend a therapist.

Olly

cheers

Paul

I use Atik's Artemis Capture - 2 or 3 instances on the same laptop.  Three instances of Artemis run fine at the same time with separate windows.  If there's more than one Atik camera connected when you run the software it comes up with a list of the camera serial numbers.  Choose one and it opens imaging on that camera.  Minimise that instance and start Artemis again.  If there's still more than one camera left, again a list is displayed until only one camera is left and then the software just opens on this final camera without showing a list.

Archived