SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new guiding solution

szymon

I've been guiding for a while with a webcam on a finder scope, and it's been largely successful. However, I've wanted to eliminate the computer from the equation (mainly so that I can get work done while the rig is imaging!). My initial plans were to take the current setup and use it with a raspberry pi, however I hit two issues: my webcam wouldn't work with the rpi for love nor money, and lin_guider requires an ST4 interface (it cannot work via PC direct connections to the synscan handset, nor via eqdir). This left me having to buy either a new webcam and a USB ST4 interface, or a camera with ST4 built-in. For the kind of money that would cost, I decided to go down a different route.

Thanks to the wonders of SGL and a lovely SGLer on the classifieds, I now have a standalone SynGuider. Thanks to the brilliant Bernard at ModernAstronomy I have an interface which simply screws into my finder. I can't wait to try it out (so am guaranteed cloud for a week).

post-38149-141112871635_thumb.jpg

post-38149-141112872585_thumb.jpg

I think it's a very neat solution, a power cable and an ST4 cable are all it needs plugged in. I'll report back on how well it guides.

-simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have to say I'm *very* impressed with the Synguider.  After a bit of messing around to understand how it works and get it in focus, it was able to guide very well, even through strong cloud!

Here's a 60 second shot of Vega (crop, from lower right side of image) through clouds and terrible conditions:

post-38149-0-12692800-1411162373_thumb.p

I couldn't really get anything more due to the really bad cloud.  I managed to get it to guide for a long time through perhaps 70-80% cloud, and it was quite reliable.  The only downside is that when it loses the star due to cloud it doesn't always regain it automatically straight away -- for example, this guided for about six minutes and then lost the star due to cloud, then after about three more minutes gained it again, and I stopped the exposure perhaps 30 seconds after regaining.  Notice how the trails are only on the brightest stars (the less bright ones vanished during the cloud), and how the beginning longer exposure and final shorter exposure are held.

post-38149-0-11347500-1411162905_thumb.p

In short, I'm over the moon with it and can't wait to try it on a nice clear sky! :-)

-simon

And thank you very much for the sale Ali - I wasn't sure whether to publicly name you as the seller, but I'm extremely happy with it and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome, I am really glad that it has been put to good use.

Regards,

A.G

Archived