SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Heart Of Gold & Psychedelic Andromeda

PhotoGav

Thought I would share my sort of work in progress as the pants weather is not generating much at the moment, so here are a couple of things for you to tut tut and giggle at!

Here's my first successful (ish) attempt at a mosaic - 2 panes of Ha, one with 3 x 10 min and the other with only 2 x 10min (amazing what a difference 50% more subs makes to the noise levels!):

post-29321-0-69738500-1411077785_thumb.p

Don't know why I colorized it in gold, it just looked pretty!

And here is a lesson to all - when the weather is rubbish and the sky is not really clear, just don't bother! This M31 is made of 6 x 10 min B, 6 x 10 min G and 3 x 10 min R (I shot a whole set of 6 x 10 min R first that were even worse than this and were thrown away). I was hoping to do something useful that evening, but the hazy sky has made a right old horlicks of this:

post-29321-0-32298200-1411078275_thumb.p

I will be starting both projects again from scratch when the weather allows, but at least I have successfully completed some more AP learning!

Nice images Gav, I remember getting the colour for M31 being a right pain. The slightest whiff of cloud or haze in any of your R,G, or B subs makes it difficult to process. You might have to wait for a night of perfect transparency to properly nail that colour.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I certainly wasn't expecting any compliments, you are a most generous bunch!

Will - you're right it was a proper split-the-house-open kind of thunderstorm here yesterday!

@Uranium235 - interesting... I thought that this colour data was going to be dodgy, but not quite that bad! I hope I don't have to wait too long before the right night comes along. Thankfully plenty of projects to work on in the meantime and M31 will take a while to drift across our skies now.

Oh Cloud Gods please give us some clear nights soon, we are all chomping at the bit to shoot some data, loads of new scopes out there just waiting (Barry et al), surely we have all been good enough to warrant some quality scope time!

Well done Gav...im only able to view these on my mobile at the moment but looking past the conditions the potential looks very promising for you on these targets. There's some nice detail in these images so I hope you get the chance to revisit them very soon in much more favorable skies.

Pete

The colour choice on the Heart doesn't work for me, I'd prefer plain old mono but you've done well with it.

M31 ...... I think you're brave to do it at all, scared the pants off me!! Star colour, galaxy colour and detail is not to be sniffed at. Well done!!

Thank you Pete, Sara & Olly. I stress, these images are only really experiments in lean imaging times! They are very far from 'proper data subs'. However, as you say Pete, they do show the potential just waiting for clear skies. Interesting idea though Olly, I will give HLVG a go when the PC is next on. As for PI, I am nowhere near brave enough to get involved with that yet!

Finally, Sara, go on, challenge yourself this autumn, give M31 a try....!

Thanks Barry, Olly & Sara. I can't say I'm chuffed with it though... To me it's far from even good! In fact I'm amazed by your replies, I even wondered if it is April 1st. They are making me like the image more though. As for the colour scheme Olly, you and your perfect clear blue/black skies, you need a bit of light pollution to get that warm sodium orangey/magenta glow to wash across an image!!!

I'm looking forward to doing this one 'properly' - in my eyes anyway. Barry, are you having any clear sky luck?

Gav

FLO's Clear Skies promised 2 or 3 hours of clear skies Saturday night but persistent low cloud all night; I gave up at midnight.  It's very muggy/humid here at the moment we really do need some rain to cleanse the atmosphere.

A few hours clear skies are also predicted for tonight (Sunday) . . . fingers crossed.

Barry

How very irritating!

I let the dog out at around 10pm last night and the stars were twinkling. Despite all day at work, I did think - mmmm, maybe? As my eyes adapted I realised that there was quite a bit of LP glow around, which was bouncing off the hazy cloud. I went back in. About an hour later I stuck my nose out just to see what was going on - thick murky cloud. If there's one thing that I am slowly learning it's to just not go there if conditions aren't up to it.

Tonight however, promises to be a good one. Clear Outside, BBC Weather and Scope Nights all suggest clear skies with good visibility until 5am. I have great plans, but let's see what actually happens!

Hope it's good down in Devon too, you must be chomping at the bit with your stonker scope just waiting for some action! Good luck!

Archived