SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wow. Just Wow.

JamesF

Prompted by catching sight of "something" through the window next to me out of the corner of my eye, I've just been outside to look at the sky.

The Milky Way looks stunning all the way from Aquila up through Cygnus overhead, where the major central dust lane is quite clear and then over into Cassiopeia and down again through Perseus.  Capella is visible, twlnkling dementedly through cloud which also reaches far enough around the northern horizon to cover the bottom edge of the Plough.

And in that cloud there is a monster, yet silent, electrical storm.  Lightning bright enough to cast a hard shadow of me on the wall of the house, but not a whisper of thunder.

I feel quite privileged.

James

Just checked a lightning map for the UK which suggests that the electrical storm is over the Severn Estuary, so at least ten, perhaps fifteen miles away.  I'm slightly gobsmacked by the fact that our weather systems can create lightning so bright that it creates a clear shadow from such a distance.

James

thanks, I shall go slash my wrists now ;)

wall to wall cloud glowing bright Orange and has been for weeks

To be honest, it's been as grey as John Major's favourite suit here for ages too.  There's been the occasional hint of sunshine through thinning cloud once in a while during the day and the odd view of a few stars through hazy skies at night, but that's been it for the last several weeks.  No orange, I have to admit, but that's probably because a lot of the locals don't hold with this new-fangled electricity stuff.

James

Catching sight of a storm like that is amazing. I know that when a thunderstorm hits overhead at night, I love to turn the lights off and just watch the show!

Had a few clear nights in the last few months myself, usually around the time of Full Moon as has been noted elsewhere on the forum!

Mark

We had a good couple of hours of lightning over Bristol. As you said James it was lighting up the sky from miles away and at first it seemed a little like a scene from war of the worlds with flashes but no noise. I sat back with some wine n crisps and enjoyed the show. Lovely :)

around the northern horizon to cover the bottom edge of the Plough.

but not a whisper of thunder.

To the north west of you it was quite dramatic !

From before dark till well after midnight.

At times rattling our windows.

Are you watching Points West Beeb1 ?

Devastation all round !

Well, that might be a bit ott in world terms, but houses blown up, sheds swept into rivers, a month of rain in one night etc&etc.

Mind-u PW sometimes get a tad excited ! We just had a few branches down :)

Prompted by catching sight of "something" through the window next to me out of the corner of my eye, I've just been outside to look at the sky.

The Milky Way looks stunning all the way from Aquila up through Cygnus overhead, where the major central dust lane is quite clear and then over into Cassiopeia and down again through Perseus.  Capella is visible, twlnkling dementedly through cloud which also reaches far enough around the northern horizon to cover the bottom edge of the Plough.

And in that cloud there is a monster, yet silent, electrical storm.  Lightning bright enough to cast a hard shadow of me on the wall of the house, but not a whisper of thunder.

I feel quite privileged.

James

I had a similar weird experience in Wales a couple of years ago. Same thing a lovely clear, dark, light pollution free sky, not a cloud to be seen. And yet out of the corner of my eye I thought I kept seeing green/white flashes to the south & west. Eventually I convinced myself the flashes were real events n the sky and not headlights of distant cars etc.  I checked the weather on teletext and sure enough there thunderstorms predicted for the Bristol Chanel and Irish Sea both 60+ miles away and well out direct visibility range.

Eerily silent and yet obvious, upward traveling light flashes- most extraordinary.

Archived