Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from West Sussex

Roj Blake

Hello all from West Sussex

I've been living in flats in central London for many years and recently moved out to the sticks, where the skies are relatively dark. I've hankered for a telescope and the chance to pursue this hobby for more than twenty years and can wait no longer...

A word of thanks already is due because I have been researching an ideal first telescope for the last few weeks and each time I settle on one I find myself on a thread here absorbing the wealth of info and experience on offer. You've already steered me clear of a good few bad decisions so thank you one and all  :icon_salut: !!!

I have now reached the stage where I've learned enough to know just quite how ignorant i am!

Having changed my mind several times and sought to be realistic about what I will be able to afford, at least initially (I have a few other demands on my wage packet) I thought the Skywatcher Explorer 200p on a basic EQ5 mount might get me on the ladder soonest.

I can then upgrade with synscan, polar allign, EPs, filters etc as cash will allow, rather than waiting potentially quite a bit longer to buy the entire package at one go (this also promises to be an easier sell with my better half  :wink: )

I appreciate the OTA is probably at the limit of what the mount can take, but does this seem reasonable given I will most likely have to transport by car this set-up to a nearby field with a greater field of view than my small garden surrounded by tall trees?

Any advice, suggestions...?

Best wishes and clear skies to all

RB

p.s. I already own a pair of 10x50 bins and assorted literature...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome.

You are a very short drive from The Telescope House, I would take a drive down there and have a look around and have a chat with with the staff down there (very helpful and very pleasant)

This way you will also get an idea of how big some of the mounts and scopes.

Yes, I noticed that the other day.

I was going to head down there on a Saturday and thought I had better check their opening times and saw that they are no long open on Saturdays.

I did email them to see if it was a permanent thing, for the time being yes as they didn't have much walk in trade over the summer months, they may open back up on Saturdays nearer towards Christmas. 

Oh yes, as John says check out the site sponser at the top of the page.

Looks like Astronomia it is then, at least for the time being! Nice to get a good recommendation from Telescope House as I've been wearing out their website for at least a couple of months and was very keen to get over there at some point. Maybe I'll just play hookie from work for the day!

Funnily enough I originally hail from just near Exeter and know exactly where the trading estate that FLO works from is, so maybe will head over there when next I'm down there visiting my mum.

Thanks again!

:hello:  Roj and welcome to SGL

I can recommend Astronomia they are very helpful and not pushy and they won't get you to buy what you don't need or can't afford.

Happy purchasing and clear skies

Martin

Warning!  It will get expensive. There is always something else to buy. :grin:  

A warm welcome from another part of West Sussex.

I'd echo the dealer recommendations above. Have had excellent service from FLO, and from Astronomia - been to a couple of workshop sessions that Astronomia organised, which have been very good. Also had great advice and service from Telescope House when I was looking at a new mount last year. They de-forked my LX200 for me, as I was bit nervous of attacking it myself, and even gave me some part-ex allowance on the left-over bits of the Meade mount I no longer required. Very helpful advice, and they put together a very good package.

Best of luck with your scope search!

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the welcome Simon! Yes I think I will take advantage of one of Astronomia's 'newbie' nights once I've picked up my scope.

I think it very serendipitous I've moved to an area with two good outlets on my doorstep!

best wishes

R

Archived