Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheap filter wheel for Atik 314L+ mono??

Astrosurf

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Alex, i couldn`t run to the expense of a Atik filter wheel but managed to buy a second hand starlight express 7 position one for £200 of astro buy and sell, work very well and in my opinion slightly better as they are powered from the usb lead so you don`t need a separate power like the Atik ones as well, there`s enough cables dangling on an imaging rig so one less is very welcome as far as i`m concerned.   

Joys optics an eBay shop have a constant auction running for 5 position filter wheels. I've had one off her before and they work great. There's an auction running on one at the moment and it's currently at 16 pounds but the auctions usually end at around 45 to 50 pounds which is a great price for a filter wheel!

Lots to be said for them in my view. They don't go wrong or suddenly decide to stop being recognized and if the filter stops in the wrong place it's your fault! I have an old Scopetechnix which is fine. On nights when I'm unplugging and replugging one of the electric ones to try to get it to play I wish I still used it...

Olly

Yes I've been using a couple of them for the last two years - main drawbacks is light leak for taking flats, so they can't be taken during the daytime.  

Plus having to manually change the filters, which sounds simple, but who knows what angle your scope will be at when you have to do so, and it can be difficult to see what filter you are on without looking right underneath the FW into a small hole where the number is.  I even had to lay on the floor once in order to see into this hole.  Not so bad in an observatory, but less desirable in the open.  

Otherwise they work well.

I've just bought myself an EFW, but based on what Olly has said, might be a good idea to keep the manual ones as a back up.  

Carole 

Xagyl wheel has come ,looks ok , all alu construction  screws in the face plate are very small , c,ir,r,g,b fitted , drivers all loaded ok and filter numbers set,wheel turns with a tinny whirring sound ,314 fitted for a dry run with neb 3 ,the only way I found to run the wheel is with script , the one script preloaded for lrgb in neb3 did not spin the wheel .time to read the help file !!! found this link for a script gen for nebulosity 3 http://www.astrovox.gr/forum/download.php?id=34469

anyone used it ?

dry run No2 planned for today , before the weekend and try it out for real

first impression seems ok ,but got nothing to compare it with

Lenny

Archived