Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Battery box finished and tested

Blazar

Gents,

Finally got round to finishing the battery box. it has been tested on the meter, but not plugged my mount into it yet to ensure it functions fully.

Its just a basic chest toolbox. In the base section is a 75Ah leisure battery. the upper box has all the connections and fuses etc. The placement also allows the tray to still be used inside of the top box, and the connectivity area will be sectioned off for further storage. It has 4 x 3 pin XLR connectors in it to start with (I will add USB etc at some point).

Will test it out on Thursday night just to make sure (I have re-flashed the handset so my mount is back up and working now!)

Thanks for looking.

Image 1: the battery sitting in the base of the toolbox (with ply insert)

med_gallery_27945_3014_4068991.jpg

Image 2: Upper box with holes cut for XLR plugs. also note isolator switch

med_gallery_27945_3014_7402091.jpg

Image 3: Component installation. includes lining with ply (sprayed black) blade fuses and bus bar along with XLR plugs.

med_gallery_27945_3014_7317162.jpg

Image 4: rear view. yep I know they are not quite level...but hey..ive never done this sort of thing before!

med_gallery_27945_3014_2701267.jpg

Image 5:  Internal wiring and soldering sorted out. The XLRs are turned upside down to make the soldering simpler.

med_gallery_27945_3014_3037218.jpg

Image 6: Finished article. tested on the meter and all connections seem to be ok. The celestron power cable has had the cig lighter connector removed and an XLR male connected. All seems to be in order...so the test will be this Thursday night. Now I have my own power I should not be scrounging off you guys anymore! if anyone else wants to mock up a 3 pin XLR power connector as well then you are more than welcome to also power up off of it! needs a last few mods like a cover over the connections...though that can wait for a while.

med_gallery_27945_3014_2099941.jpg

Regards

Thanks gents.

The main wiring to the battery is 17.5Amp wire, with each of the individual XLR's set-up on 8 amp rated.  The mount draws 3.5Amps or so it states in the manual (though I guess thats when slewing). The blade fuses were 4amp, though I will ensure that I label the connections as I might want to have specific connections for things like dew control at some point. obviously i will need to be careful of the ratings of all components when I add stuff to it. I did have the advice of my elder brother who is a bit of a dab hand at soldering..so helped me learn some new skills!

Cheers Gary. The other thing I was looking at was making something the fits over the handle when it is extended to create a desktop to place laptop on (kind of a small mobile desk). that was the idea anyway! need to work out what to use through....

Well I kept borrowing people's power, and knew this needed doing. so drew a wiring diagram, then did a bit of reading up on what was needed (for a basic first pass), Then took my time.  Not sure I would want to do another one to be honest but no reason you could not have a crack at it ;-) I will add to it, so I can have the USB power for the camera off of it as well, and dew control (but will need to change those fuses for higher rated etc)

hmmm, not too sure. Lets have a tot up:

Toolbox was about £20-25

Battery was £66 inc vat and delivery

Maplins for some components (XLR's etc): £20

Halfords for 8 amp wire: £7

12volt planet: £56 (for connectors, isolator switch, fuse box and fuses, spade and ring connectors)

Amazon: £10 for the 17.5amp cable

ply was nothing, spray paint and other bits say £20....

so without a charger... around £204....plus my time and my brothers iron and solder ;-)

To be honest I could have paid a lot less for the skywatcher ones, but this will power so much more for quite a bit longer.  could have made a smaller one, but I thought I will only ever increase the amount of things that need power over time....so why not plan for a few connections....will need the USB ones next though.

• 3 months later...

And stick a reminder on your phone to trickle it monthly [emoji4]

I have a question you guys hopefully can answer.

I have a new AVX, and I want to connect it to a leisure battery. I understand the mount has a center positive polarity connection...

Does the wiring in the picture look correct? The cable with the red tape goes to the center contact in the 12v socket. post-34206-142116193219_thumb.jpg

Just worried about frying the mount before I've used it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the AVX. What is going on top of it?

I don't have the cigar sockets on my setup. I know the male plug when pulled off had centre positive, and thats the way the XLR male is wired. might be best to draw it up on paper so you have it sorted before connecting it all up. What are the connection on the right hand side. I see the socket on the left pair, the input (IE croc clips from the battery?) in the centre..are the ones on the right charging (solar?)

Congrats on the AVX. What is going on top of it?

I don't have the cigar sockets on my setup. I know the male plug when pulled off had centre positive, and thats the way the XLR male is wired. might be best to draw it up on paper so you have it sorted before connecting it all up. What are the connection on the right hand side. I see the socket on the left pair, the input (IE croc clips from the battery?) in the centre..are the ones on the right charging (solar?)

My 200pds, its a bit big and bulky, but the AVX seems happy with it. Happily I got it working - in the end I didnt need to worry - the 12v adaptor the AVX comes with has a little LED on it - if the polarity is incorrect the LED doesn't light up (tested before connecting the other end to the mount!) 

Even managed to catch some cloudless skies to test it on last night! I need to practice the ASPA for sure though!

The sockets on the right is indeed for solar charging :)

Nice one. I did try and get out last night and start guiding....that did not go to well.

The ASPA's are quite good, though as you say. once you get the hang of them. A 10mm reticle EP (with the double tram lines) is quite handy for nailing the star centering side of things. Let us know how you get on...some pics of it all would be good!

Archived