SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TAL 100RS v Skywatcher 150PL

The 150pl is seriously under rated, especially if you close down the aperture to 4". If you're going to be observing at x150-x250, I'd suggest an eq mount.

On the other hand a 4" will provide stunning contrast of planets and the Moon. It'll also do great things with clusters and double stars.really depends what else is going to be observed as you get into all this observing,

Nick.

150pl for me but your current scope is better again

To be absolutely honest I am on the verge of selling up altogether. Why? Clouds, clouds, clouds. I am beginning to doubt my sanity. I have lovely quality gear I almost never get to use. I am either working, it's broad daylight (or the middle of the summer which might as well be the same thing) or it's cloudy. I have had exactly 3 decent sessions since I bought the scope back in February. Often the sky is clear but the air is full of sea fog which has rolled straight up the banks of the Humber, and I live a mile from the Humber. I was thinking selling everything except the mount getting a cheap scope and a couple of BST's for the odd view of Saturn and Jupiter

we are about the same when it comes to solar then

Yep. Oh I don't know jules maybe I'll get over it. It's almost a standing joke in our house, out goes the scope for a cool, an hour later it's back in again with little more than quick peak at a couple of easy doubles. It feels like almost permanent high cloud/mist/fog

Hi Carl,

I think, if your local conditions are really that bad, that the differences between a Tal 100RS and the 6" newt are academic :embarassed: ..

But, and a BIG but, you did say it might just be the way you are feeling? I liken it to fishing (another hobby I love)...many anglers fish only in the summer months, then pack it in for the winter. With astronomy it's the exact opposite..what I mean is, surely September is the wrong time to take such a big step? WIth luck, you will have many more sessions available in the winter months, with luck the fog will be less, the nights longer and the skies clearer. See how the next 6 months go before making a hasty decision. - I do know how you feel, I've been there before myself.

Assuming a move of location isn't practical for you, just see how things are this winter, then decide. One or two nights of really good viewing with that lovely set up of yours could make all the difference.

For the record, in answer to your question, I'd take the Tal 100RS every time. Mind you, I take the Tal over an 8" Newt, never mind the 6" - not a rational decision, just one based on a feeling that refractors look the business, perform better in all our UK conditions, and need less maintenance eg collimation etc. Sorry Newt fans :evil:

Dave

I think given your circumstances of local conditions and limited time.  The more portable, the more you would use it - no cool down time and easy mount.   I'd be looking for a short tube 'nice' refractor F6 to F8 around 80 to 100mm on alt az mount.  Your giro for me would be ideal.  

And don't make any rash decisions !

andrew

I think given your circumstances of local conditions and limited time.  The more portable, the more you would use it - no cool down time and easy mount.   I'd be looking for a short tube 'nice' refractor F6 to F8 around 80 to 100mm on alt az mount.  Your giro for me would be ideal.  

And don't make any rash decisions !

Andrew

too late! http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/4420-entire-outfit/

sorry to see this Karl but if you do sell and get some kit you use more and enjoy more (or find a new hobby even) then good for you :smiley:

Hi Carl,

I think, if your local conditions are really that bad, that the differences between a Tal 100RS and the 6" newt are academic :embarassed: ..

But, and a BIG but, you did say it might just be the way you are feeling? I liken it to fishing (another hobby I love)...many anglers fish only in the summer months, then pack it in for the winter. With astronomy it's the exact opposite..what I mean is, surely September is the wrong time to take such a big step? WIth luck, you will have many more sessions available in the winter months, with luck the fog will be less, the nights longer and the skies clearer. See how the next 6 months go before making a hasty decision. - I do know how you feel, I've been there before myself.

Assuming a move of location isn't practical for you, just see how things are this winter, then decide. One or two nights of really good viewing with that lovely set up of yours could make all the difference.

For the record, in answer to your question, I'd take the Tal 100RS every time. Mind you, I take the Tal over an 8" Newt, never mind the 6" - not a rational decision, just one based on a feeling that refractors look the business, perform better in all our UK conditions, and need less maintenance eg collimation etc. Sorry Newt fans :evil:

Dave

I totally agree with Dave here, now is not a good time to sell Carl. You've just got through summer and all the short nights, at least give it a chance through one winter. Your setup looks pretty easy to manage, I can't think a refactor would be significantly different other than cool down time.

Your scope and kit look lovely, and I guess you will lose a substantial amount selling now, so maybe sleep on it and reconsider?

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived