Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some easy accessible summer DSO

YKSE

With the waning Moon arise first after midnight, clear sky, 70% humidity, 14 degree temperature, C8 just had to get out for some action.

Targets were brighter new NGCs in constellation Vulpecula and Cygnus, they were high enough to clear neighbors' roofs with good margin.SQM showed 18.5 to 18.9, quite good in my backyard.

According to 666 selected DSO list, there're five(5) bright NGCs in Vulpecula besides M27, these are 6940, 6823, 6830, 6802, and Caldwell 37(6885).  6802 was the only one needed averted vision in 68x to see neblosity, doubling mag showed more faint stars, the other 4 were nice & easy target in 68x.

Moving up to Cygnus, open cluster 7062 and 7086 with nice patch of faint stars, readily seen in 68x, planetary nebula 7026 could only be detected in averted vision, with UHC filter, it became much brighter and paired the neighboring star well. moving up to 130-140x, the nebulosity joined double-star look even without UHC.
7128 looked like 5 stars in a circle in 68x, with nebulosity in averted vision, moving up to 130-140x revealed more than a dozen stars there. 7044 was much more difficult, just hint of nebulosity in 68x, could be confirmed only after observing in 130-140x.
IC 5146, Cocoon nebula, clearly brighter than I had anticipated, visible without filter in 50x, and UHC enhanced it even more.
IC5067, Pelican nebula, absolutely nothing without filter, with UHC in 50x, a faint nebulosity shaped like a man with open arms, clearly smaller than the 1 degree size indicated. comparing to pictures later on, it dawned to me that it was only the beak I saw. Need to pay more visit here.

Weather forecast looks encouraging for the weekend, fingers crossed.

Clear Sky!

Lovely report, Yong and sadly, perhaps the last one we will read in 2014 with summer in the title  :smiley:  I can feel Autumn is now on its way; temperatures at night are dropping to a chilly 24ºC and all the lovely summer birds like the Swifts and Swallows appear to have packed their bags and gone home.

Archived