SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Connect HEQ5 via Bluetooth to SkySafari

blinky

I am trying to figure out what I need to connect my HEQ5 Pro to SkySafari - as far as I can tell a serial to Bluetooth dongle should work, although it seems the ones I have been looking at (as well as being expensive) also say they are not compatible with Apple devices - http://www.usconverters.com/serial-bluetooth-adapter  Why would it not work with Apple devices? Are there any known to work with Apple devices?

I also think I just need to plug the serial cable that came with the mount handset into the Bluetooth adapter, then do a 3 star align, then connect via Bluetooth to the dongle from my Ipad - has anybody actually managed to get this all working?

Not directly via Bluetooth. I use SkySafari+ with EQMOD running on a laptop PC which also runs WiFiScope, a free download from MainSequence Software. Of course this relies upon both devices making connection through your home's WiFi router, so if you're a long way from the house, you may be out of range.

Take a look at this: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/180030-skyfi-with-a-pi/ . You can also set up the Pi as a wireless access point, negating the need for access to your home network. The OP went on to replace the Pi to mount serial connection with Bluetooth. You could potentially set up a Bluetooth Personal area network using the Pi. I suspect that you have to hardware (be it the Pi or SkyFi) to act as the network to serial bridge. I'm new to this, so I'm hoping one of the more technically minded members will chip in. The Pi method does work, I've just set one up, but I haven't set up the wireless access point yet.

Archived