SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY mount hub

Hi all,

For my next project I will be building a Mount hub for my set up, including 12v supply's, dew controllers, USB hub, serial to USB port.

My question is realistically how many 12v outputs do I need, I never use more than 4 at any one time, for DSLR, dew controller, guide camera, and mount, so I wonder what else I may need them for, I know some of you are very experienced imagers and wondered what you thoughts were on this and how many you guys and gals would need on your set ups. And also what I could add to my set up,in the future that would require more 12v outputs.

Regards

Olly

I'm greedy & have had up to 3 imaging scopes at a time on the mount. I use a mount hub pro on the mount head & switch 4 12v supply's from this + upto the 4 dew heater controllers.

I also have additional steppers for focus on each scope which (aside the one driven by the MHP) are currently powered from supply outputs on pier (as controllers are strapped to pier).

Not everything requires separate power, some of my guide cams & filter wheels are USB powered which is nice.

Always best to over budget in this game I've found :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want some for just for options at a later time. It's much easier to design in more now that to try to shoehorn them into an existing piece of kit at a later time.

I'd be inclined to add a few more for no particular reason than flexibility. I'd also add a few variable output ( 2 - 24) outputs - or at least space for them - as "known unknowns", too.

As well as adding the sockets, it would be wise to add the fuses for them, too.

If you want to know what extra 12V kit you might have in your future, consider these:

• a long-exposure video cam
  • an IP/Wifi "obsy-cam"
  • a remotely operated end-cap for the scope (or something that flips a Bahtinov mask in place, remotely)
  • electric focuser supply

not that I'm trying to put ideas into your head! :evil:

H

I'm greedy & have had up to 3 imaging scopes at a time on the mount. I use a mount hub pro on the mount head & switch 4 12v supply's from this + upto the 4 dew heater controllers.

I also have additional steppers for focus on each scope which (aside the one driven by the MHP) are currently powered from supply outputs on pier (as controllers are strapped to pier).

Not everything requires separate power, some of my guide cams & filter wheels are USB powered which is nice.

Always best to over budget in this game I've found :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the mount hub pro have built in dew controllers??

Olly

H

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the mount hub pro have built in dew controllers??

Olly

Yes I meant the. 4 outputs to the bands sry.

Have you seen the new MHP ultimate ? I like the idea of it all being on the saddle but £700! DIY is the way to go.

USB ports I've found has been the biggest lack of. I use the 5 on MHP & another 4 on a lindy active pro hub on the mount plus I've another hub on the pier.

I made my hub a while back with 4 12v outlets and have never needed any more. I also added a dedicated outlet for my dslr set at 8v to work with my camera. I later added automated due heaters and electronic focuser. I built in an 8 port usb hub too but I found it required a 5v supply to work properly.

You can see it here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/173246-Power-and-Data-Hub-Mk2,-with-automated-Dew-Control.

The original build thread is also on here.

Jason.

I made my hub a while back with 4 12v outlets and have never needed any more. I also added a dedicated outlet for my dslr set at 8v to work with my camera. I later added automated due heaters and electronic focuser. I built in an 8 port usb hub too but I found it required a 5v supply to work properly.

You can see it here:http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/173246-Power-and-Data-Hub-Mk2,-with-automated-Dew-Control.

The original build thread is also on here.

Jason.

That looks superb and very professional I have to say. Good job

I dint think mine will be quite on the same level to be honest, yours has made mine look a little inadequate.......

Regards

Olly

Don't say that I feal bad for posting now!

A project is never inadequate if it achieves what you set out to do and you are happy with it.

I was just pointing out some of the things I came across while building mine. I had to cram in the 5v regulator for the usb as it didn't like it without the extra power. And the power for the camera was very worth while.

You can make both parts very easily using voltage regulators and capacitors, and it costs next to nothing.

Jason.

Don't say that I feal bad for posting now!

A project is never inadequate if it achieves what you set out to do and you are happy with it.

I was just pointing out some of the things I came across while building mine. I had to cram in the 5v regulator for the usb as it didn't like it without the extra power. And the power for the camera was very worth while.

You can make both parts very easily using voltage regulators and capacitors, and it costs next to nothing.

Jason.

Don't feel bad, I love to see other peoples projects it inspires me to do a good job.

I think I am going to have 7 12v outputs in total, I have ordered an 12v to 5v converter from ebay for £4 so not worth making my self really, for my 7 port USB hub, also using external fuse holders for everything to be fused.

I have got 4 of these I bought a while back for £10 for all four, I have used before to build a 2 port dew heater as they are rated at 8 amp 12v and are PWM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PCS-DC-12V-24V-8A-LED-Dimmer-Controller-Single-Color-Adjust-Light-Strip-UK-/181477884165?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Lighting_Parts&hash=item2a40ecc105

What do you think, I have heard others use them and my other one seems to work fine, just seems too easy and cheap really, so would like your input.

I would like to know how to build a 7.5 output for my DSLR, I have one from Astronomiser at the moment, and though about using that in some way, as I assume the electronics for it are inside the false battery which is used, so could I remove it from there and put into my new hub ?

Regards

Olly

i Have used the same LED Dimmer for a portable setup and I have found they work very well, however the wires to the pot are very fragile so be careful not to damage them when you put them into your hub. I have used  8v for my 1100D and this works perfectly, I also cut up a cheap ebay battery and removed the cells and wired directly into it, see my thread here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/143006-1100d-external-power-help/

I can not see any reason why you cant remove the regulator from the battery and put it into your hub. I have heard that the heat produced from the voltage regulator can effect the camera when it is inside the battery, that is why I did not put it into the battery case.

External fuses are definitely the way to go, this was a mistake I made with mine, all the fuses are inside!

Jason.

Well first few pics, not finished but getting there

The three cigar sockets are waterproof and have a twist lock system so the plugs can't be pulled loose, these are a marine quality item. There is also going to be four more 12v RCA plug outputs, on the side that is not shown yet on the pics also I have still got to fit the USB hub on the same side.

post-29463-0-74761200-1410728222_thumb.j

post-29463-0-52800400-1410728345_thumb.j

post-29463-0-93283500-1410728445_thumb.j

post-29463-0-07893000-1410728521_thumb.j

post-29463-0-84373300-1410728576_thumb.j

Hole cut for USB hub, and holes for extra 12v outputs

post-29463-0-73871500-1410729094_thumb.j

post-29463-0-58511100-1410729402_thumb.j

post-29463-0-44162900-1410729592_thumb.j

Olly

i Have used the same LED Dimmer for a portable setup and I have found they work very well, however the wires to the pot are very fragile so be careful not to damage them when you put them into your hub. I have used  8v for my 1100D and this works perfectly, I also cut up a cheap ebay battery and removed the cells and wired directly into it, see my thread here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/143006-1100d-external-power-help/

I can not see any reason why you cant remove the regulator from the battery and put it into your hub. I have heard that the heat produced from the voltage regulator can effect the camera when it is inside the battery, that is why I did not put it into the battery case.

External fuses are definitely the way to go, this was a mistake I made with mine, all the fuses are inside!

Jason.

Yes I found about the delicate wires on the pots, I am going to add a touch more solder to them, I have added some pics of the project so far.

Olly

Thats coming along nicely.

Its surprising just how many wires you end up having to cram in. What psu are you using? I assume it is quite substantial to support 7 outlets plus the other bits you have drawing power!

Jason.

Thats coming along nicely.

Its surprising just how many wires you end up having to cram in. What psu are you using? I assume it is quite substantial to support 7 outlets plus the other bits you have drawing power!

Jason.

Yes have just edited it and added an other pic, I currently only have a 5 amp but am looking at a 15 amp bench supply, I have a permanent pier with 240v at the pier, but am going to change it and send just 12v from my warm room in the garage to the pier from the new 15 amp supply when I get it. I have no need for 240v at the pier anymore.

I am still waiting for,the 12 to 5v adapter to arrive and then got to put that in somewhere.....lol, to power the USB hub.

Also am going to add a power switch to the bottom next to the USB input.

Olly

I did think about that, but it is not straight forward I hear, there are things that have to be done in order for it to do the job, and I am not sure what it entails, maybe you can shed some light on that, it would be a lot cheaper....

Cheers

Olly

Take a look at this: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html

It is very straight forward, I have made one up as a power supply in my shed for powering different projects when required.

If you go ahead just disconnect the psu and leave it for several days to discharge the capacitors before opening it up.

Jason.

All finished and working, just waiting for the USB hub to arrive and then fit

The yellow raw plugs are not a design feature, just there to stop me stabbing myself on the protruding screws from the lighter sockets....lol

Dew control 2 channels and external fuse holders

post-29463-0-72306000-1410791125_thumb.j

4 extra 12v outputs and hole ready for USB hub

post-29463-0-33607500-1410791952_thumb.j

Let me know what you think, I am pleased

Olly

post-29463-0-51877700-1410791237_thumb.j

Take a look at this: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html

It is very straight forward, I have made one up as a power supply in my shed for powering different projects when required.

If you go ahead just disconnect the psu and leave it for several days to discharge the capacitors before opening it up.

Jason.

Hi Jason,

I have seen this on ebay today, do you think the 10amp version would be ok as a power supply for a telescope set up, it's just that it seems very cheap, comes in box too, waterproof so can be used outside.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150847896628?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=450088667960&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Would like your thoughts

Olly

It looks ok to me, I would go for the 15amp version, its better to have too much power than not enough. You can adjust the output to. I would start by adding up the consumption of your current setup and then try to allow for any extras you can think of this will give you an idea of what you will need. Try to future proof as best as you can. I think I used a 20 amp psu.

Jason.

It looks ok to me, I would go for the 15amp version, its better to have too much power than not enough. You can adjust the output to. I would start by adding up the consumption of your current setup and then try to allow for any extras you can think of this will give you an idea of what you will need. Try to future proof as best as you can. I think I used a 20 amp psu.

Jason.

Hi,

Have ordered one of these now, will serve for my purposes and work as a tool in my workshop while building projects

I know it was a bit more in price, still seems good value, but looks good and plenty of features.....two outputs, and ammeter, and all important 15amps of power.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301186076491?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards

Olly

Archived