Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

need major help with nexstar 4 se

only just purchased it i have set it up but not too sure correctly .

ive not attempted the sky align yet as im getting very poor results trying to view the brightest star i can see in the sky .

when viewing through the scope it does not look any better that looking at it in the sky, 

when i adjust the focus knob , it seems to get bigger but then just looks like a polo.

any advise as to what im doing wrong , thanks.

Hello Cosworth4x4.

Welcome to SGL.  Stars don't look particularly larger in a telescope, just brighter. You focus them until you get the smallest image, if you see the "polo" represntation you are too far inside or outside focus depending on which way you turn the focuser. Just takes a bit of practice.  :smiley:

ive not attempted the sky align yet as im getting very poor results trying to view the brightest star i can see in the sky .

when viewing through the scope it does not look any better that looking at it in the sky, 

when i adjust the focus knob , it seems to get bigger but then just looks like a polo.

Hi there

Welcome to the forum :) Just to add, when asking for advice it's useful to include details of your scope etc. This will help with trying to understand any problems you may have.

Edit: Oh, just realised you included it in the title!

Cheers

Louise

Stars will look like tiny pin-pricks if the sky is clear, or tiny fuzzy pin-heads if the sky has a slight haze ("poor seeing" ). As Steve said above turn the focus knob in whichever direction makes it smaller until it gets as small as it will go and starts to get larger. Then turn it back until it's as small as possible. 

This week there is a strong moon and the moon's light will be stopping you seeing the fainter stars so you might not get the most exciting views right now. Next week the moon will be later in the night so you will get a darker sky in the evening and see more. As someone said it's a good time to aim at the moon. You might find it helps to aim at a bright star first so you can minimise the star size as much as possible so the focus is roughly in the right place before you turn to the moon.

With a new scope there is much to learn and it can take a long time to get the hang of it all. Give it time and take one step at a time.

Joe

You really don't want to be viewing through open windows , especially Velux.

All the warm air from inside the room will be rushing through the opening and creating the most horrendous wobbly views , just like the heat haze you get from a hot tarmac road in the summer.

You'll have to learn to wrap up warm and set up outside to get the best from your new 'scope.

Please don't be put off by your early experience.

By way of encouragement, I have the Nexstar 4se also, and have had it for just over a year. It is a cracking scope, with very good optics. It simply is not big enough for observing many deep-sky objects, but it's main advantage for beginners is its portability. It is brilliant for the moon and planets and also for the nearer deep-sky objects such as the Orion nebula. (I am sure others here can suggest other objects suitable for this scope). Rather than leaving it in the loft take it ouside and practice the three-star alignment ready for later in the year when Jupiter and Saturn become visible, You will clearly see the banding on Jupiter, its moons, and Saturn's rings. Search Youtube for nexstar 4se to see examples of what others have done.

Take heed of what the others have said - your scope is behaving normally, If you look at a star through a scope it will just look like a brighter star.

Above all, keep coming back here if you have any questions, we are all eager to help.

Neil.

Dont beat yourself up. No one is born knowing how to work a telescope. We have all made rookie mistakes, it is just how things are. The good news is amateur astronomers a well known for their kindness and desire to share information. Before you know it you will be helping out rookies yourself!

Depending on where you are in Wales, the dark skies will certainly help you. 4" and 5" scopes are great for lunar (wait until you see the terminator for the first time) and planets (as already highlighted Jupiter and Saturn) but also doubles (eg Albireo but there are many others) and clusters (M13 is good start point). Do be patient, it is worth it.

Btw looking through a window with a small scope is perfectly ok for training purposes. You will however get weird reflections and the image may wobble, but atleast you can turn on the lights if you need to read the manual and you dont have to swat mosquitoes or freeze your rear end. =) Once you know how stuff works you can take the scope out for a walk. 

Archived