Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Idea for a bigger telescope

cutepetgroomer

The flexttube actually resembles what I know to be a celestron first scope and is well within my budget. And I have looked at something similar to the other one as well. I have a refractor with an aperture of 70mm already so I was looking at getting one bigger , but considering 76mm gets me closer to 80mm.. And I'm looking at 90mm in terms of aperture.. And I would for sure like a reflector to try out as I have never personally owned any reflectors and I don't want to go too big or too tall in focal length so I'm not feeling overwhelmed. I am saving up for one (that is hubby owes me big time)

If it were to be a 90mm refractor there is the Celestron 90mm Astro Master.

I presume from the make and size that this is the same as the Evostar 90 over here, and they are a well regarded scope.

On telescopes.com they are $290 on an equitorial mount.

No idea which EQ mount and so not sure if you can get (or want) motors for it.

Refering to a post elsewhere by another person I suggest  you also look at the 150 Orion dobsonian.

There have a larger aperture and are f/8. So not a "fast" scope and should be comfprtable to use and easy to maintain.

Cannot locate where I saw it but I think they were the same cost $299, pretty sure it was a "2" at the start not a "3".

One of them would last you for a long time, it would also be a nice change in aperture.

70 to 90 is reasonable but 90 is still a "small" scope in many ways.

As I gather there is just you observing then the 150 would cause no problems.

They are not big and being a base and scope are in 2 parts for moving.

Yes they require collimation, but at f/8 not every time used.

Is there a club near enough to you that you could visit?

Someone there should have a dobsonian that they may let you try for half an hour to see how you get on with one.

I have tried different types of scopes at school , refractors,reflectors,compounds,etc just the ones I felt more at home with were the Newtonian and compounds aside from the refractors. And yes there is a club that meets roughly once a month where I use different scopes to see how I like them, but where I'm at right now I was able to try a goto refractor and I enjoyed the 90mm aperture.

I have tried different types of scopes at school , refractors,reflectors,compounds,etc just the ones I felt more at home with were the Newtonian and compounds aside from the refractors. And yes there is a club that meets roughly once a month where I use different scopes to see how I like them, but where I'm at right now I was able to try a goto refractor and I enjoyed the 90mm aperture.

Someone had a 90mm refractor that was about f/7 area, I thought it was on a goto mount, Celestron type single arm.

Trouble I is I cannot find it again, also sure it was in the US that it was sold.

One of them would match.

The other is the Meade ETX-80 but that is an f/5 refractor and not really suitable for achieving magnifications, too short and too much resulting CA, and I think you will want more then it could easily deliver.

Archived