SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need help with DECENT eyepieces

Much depends on budget, but the TS HR Planetary line combines modest price with very decent quality and good eye relief. In your 8" SCT (similar optics to my main scope) I would not start out with ultra expensive ones. I started out with very decent Plossls, and used all except the 10mm for years. The 10mm was good in terms of quality, but the eye relief was too short for me with my glasses. I replaced it with Vixen LV 9mm and 7mm EPs, which have much better eye relief (since replaced by NLV and SLV lines). Only much later did these get replaced by TeleVue Radians, and later still Pentax XWs. All with good eye relief, and going from very good to excellent in the LVs, excellent in the Radians, and just outstanding in the Pentax. They do not come cheap. If you do not wear glasses, you can opt for orthoscopic EPs: great image quality, but short eye relief, and narrower field of view, for a much more modest price than the likes of XWs

The "standard" selection in order(ish) of cost are generally

Planetary's which the TS HR are likely the best choice.

The BST Starguiders from Sky's the Limit,

The Celestron X-Cels

TV plossls.

After that it is ones like the ES82's.

There are Skywatcher planetary's but they seem limited in focal lengths.

I have a couple of planetary's and not overly impressed.

I also have the BST's and they are good. (£49)

The X-Cels seem to match the BST's so nothing between them.(£64)

Another option is the Antares W70's they are from Rother Valley.(£65)

The TV plossl's are good.(sort of £65-90ish).

For the CPC you will be advised to avoid the 5mm offerings, just too much.

Makes things easier.

You could get the 8, 12, 15, 18, 25 in the BST's, although dropping the 15 is a reasonable option.

The other "problem" is you will likely want a wide eyepiece, and the CPC focal length sort of makes that more difficult.

The X-Cels are in much the same focal lengths, but they have a 7 and 9 not an 8.

W70's not sure of the focal lengths.

TV plossls start at 8mm so you could go for 8, 11, 20, 32 in those. That drops the 15, 25 and 40 out.

My selection is based on/around the f number.

Oops, forget the Vixen plossls, £35-40,.

Plossls tend to be non-parfocal and the eye relief is dependant on the focal length, about 2/3 or 70%.

BST's and X-Cels are par focal withing the set and the eye relief is about 15-16mm for the BST's and 17-18mm for the X-Cels.

For wider FoV's you are looking at the ES82's but as they do not get up to the longer focal lengths you do not get the FoV in use that you may want.

Yeah they are only £65 over here in the UK. Aren't televues cheap in the states?

Cheaper but not cheap. If your 9mm is an X-Cell LX, I would say you have planetary covered quite well for now. Something like a second-hand Radian might improve matters, but not dramatically. If you can tollerate the short eye relief, an orthoscopic EP like the BCO or BGO might also improve matters. With a collection consisting of a 9mm and a 40mm (Plossl?) I would fill the gap using e.g. the MaxVision 24mm 68 deg. VERY good value for money and quite happy in fast scopes as well. Not perhaps quite up there with the legendary TeleVue Panoptic, but snapping at its heels. I paid 79 euro each for my pair (plans for binoviewing). Really nice and crisp. The 20mm is good too, but I avoided the 16mm because of the shorter eye relief (I wear glasses, it should be fine for people without). With a 40mm, a 24mm a16mm and your current 9 you have most bases covered nicely. Once you get more experience observing you may then find out whether you want to change anything at all (or add a 7mm for nights of really good seeing on targets like the moon, Mars and Saturn). Don't forget that the experience  counts heavily in what can be seen through a scope.

Archived