SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

September's Object of the Month

The Binocular Sky  Object of the Month for September is the open cluster, IC 1396. Also enjoy the Garnet Star while you are in the region!

(The object of the month is intended to be a good binocular object, easily visible in small binoculars under a suburban sky, that may not be on the common  "obvious and popular" lists.)

Thanks Steve, that's an interesting one to note and will need to give it a try.  At 1.5 degrees, it's a likely binocular target.  I was in that area while tracking the progress of Comet Jacques and recognize the bow of stars in the last image on your link.  Just needed to procede a little further to catch this!  By the way, it was hard not to enjoy the Garnet Star :)

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I'm considering buying binocular astronomy as I have recently purchased my first pair of binoculars (is it OK to say bins?) I think you may have helped in the decision making process. Either way, I settled on some Opticron Discovery 10x50. The reason for the purchase is that I am en route to a 2 year stay in New Zealand and for the moment I have had to leave my beloved Celestron C8 behind. Will 'Binocular Astronomy' serve me well in the southern hemisphere or does it mostly cater for the northern hemisphere? Of so, can you recommend any reason material to help me get to grips with the southern night sky?

FYI, I've spent this weekend in Singapore and you really can't see anything at all. Not that I have been looking up to much mind you. Not looking forward to an upside down Orion.

Best regards,

Chris Thompson.

(is it OK to say bins?)

Hi Chris, say what you like! :-)

Will 'Binocular Astronomy' serve me well in the southern hemisphere or does it mostly cater for the northern hemisphere? Of so, can you recommend any reason material to help me get to grips with the southern night sky?

It is mostly northern hemisphere, but it does have 30 or 40 objects south of Dec -40* (I grew up in Bulawayo, so southern skies were the first I observed). Also, a lot of more northerly objects are still available from the southern hemisphere. However, there may well be something more suitable for your time in NZ; probably best to get local advice when you are there.

Archived