Narrowband

Hello from Cardiff, Wales, UK!

Bunford

Hi all!

I am 34 and just getting into sky watching. I have always had curiosities about the universe we live in but have never gone beyond that. I am a fan of Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, own a few books by Carl Sagan, on the Hubble scope, the Big Bang and about astronomy basics. I am also partial to exploring curiosities about intelligent life beyond Earth and, where I am not a believer, I am not a sceptic either and sit inbetween somewhere waiting for conclusive proof.

I am, however, rubbish at identifying objects in the sky and have always used one of my iPad's sky map apps in order to see what I am looking at and to try and learn to identify myself.

I am now looking to move into exploring the skies above us with a telescope and about to invest in one soon to develop my knowledge a bit more.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also recommend downloading stellarium if you have a laptop, its a very good piece of software a live planetarium is the best way of describing it ( you would have to put in your location but if remember correctly cardiff is already in there just need to select it. also i would have a look at 'Turn left at Orion' printed by cambridge press loads on ebay and amazon

Hi Bunford and welcome to SGL, take your time in identifying what you would like to observe in the night sky, this is not as daft as it sounds, as I am afraid there is no scope available that can cover efficiently all the subjects that you can look at, Deep Space Objects and our own local systems planetary bodies for an example. However, there are models which will give reasonable results over a fairly broad spectrum. Research  the matter well, before coming to a decision. In the meantime you could consider a modest pair of binoculars, which will assist you greatly in learning to find your way about the night sky. The free program "Stellarium" is also an excellent choice to get acquainted with what lies above, enjoy :)

Hello, and welcome to SGL.   :smiley:

As Lenny mentioned, do stop by the South Wales Group forum here to see what's going on locally.

We have a scheduled observing meet coming up in a couple of weeks, weather permitting of course.

Stop by if you get a chance, it's all informal, you will see a variety of equipment, meet some good people,

and get an idea of the type of scope may want to acquire.

Archived