Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first astro pics

bendiddley

Thought I'd have a dabble at some astrophotography after buying a second hand DSLR the other day, here are my first pics, taken from my garden a couple of nights ago, quite pleased with the results, just used a standard 18mm-55 lens on a camera tripod, all of them at 18mm F3.5. The first one if you look closely in the middle, you can just see the Andromeda galaxy. Wasn't sure how I was going to process these at first as the images were very orangey but I had a play with the RAW settings in photoshop when I opened them and managed to get rid of it, not sure what the correct way of doing it is, but it seemed to get round the problem fairly easily. My next mission is to get a fast wide angle lens from somewhere and get out into the sticks to get a more detailed image of the milky way, can't afford to buy one yet, so hoping one of my FB friends might have one I can borrow. I think I enjoyed the post processing more than the taking of the shots as it was all very fiddly outside but seeing the detail pop out of the images as I played with the settings was a real thrill, I'm sure as I get more familiar with being in the field and what I'm doing, it will become easier and more more enjoyable especially knowing what is possible with the end results. 

post-20852-0-39706800-1409647313_thumb.j

post-20852-0-71837000-1409647307_thumb.j

post-20852-0-69358900-1409647323_thumb.j

Blimey, I didn't realise I'd caught the North American nebular as well, that's was a bit lucky, I thought it was all the milky way, I feel even prouder now!! Yep agree the bug might be starting, gonna play it safe as long as poss though, 2nd hand only and one step at a time, making the most of every step.

this isnt going to be "textbook" explanation but basically ....... actually,  i remember deep sky stacker (DSS) website has a very good explanation and an image showing the results of the stacking http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/theory.htm

with the star trails if took a 60 minute exposure it would be totally over exposed quite quickly, with stacking you could take multiple 5 minute images and stack them to make your star trails.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the link later. Like your idea about stacking for the star trails image, I want to do one of those and wondered how best to go about it, definitely going to give that a try. Do I need to take dark frames with that as well or are only lights needed for it? Also is 60 mins total exposure time what you recommend for the star trails image or is better for longer?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the link later. Like your idea about stacking for the star trails image, I want to do one of those and wondered how best to go about it, definitely going to give that a try. Do I need to take dark frames with that as well or are only lights needed for it? Also is 60 mins total exposure time what you recommend for the star trails image or is better for longer?

as long as you have got really, i would say the longer the better.

Archived