SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would you take your Scopes into the desert?

Hello, All,

I am looking for advice and everyone's opinion is gratefully accepted.

I have been given an opportunity to work abroad for a year or two and am thinking of making use of the clear nights and dark skies.

The assignment is on the edge of a desert and I am thinking of taking some of my stuff with me.

But.

My concern is the fine dust and sand playing havoc with the internals and facing big bills/scrapping stuff when I get back.

Would you take your good stuff, or get some second hand gear off fleabay, etc. instead?

I am happy for ANY input, even "take this, but leave that at home" would help.

So, here is the items to consider...

12" OO Newt, with 1/10 wave mirror and Feathertouch focuser

NEQ6 with belt drive upgrade

SW 80mm Equinox

Lunt 60mm Ha with Feathertouch focuser

SW EQ3-2 with motors

SBIG ST8300 mono camera

SX 2" filter wheel, SX OAG, SX Superstar guide camera

LRGB and narrowband filters for above

Plus other small stuff; EP's polarising filters, etc.

So, what would YOU do...?

Gordon.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you have time to do imaging? Processing?

If not, go with a dob and just enjoy the skies. 

On the other hand, youre not going out in a sandstorm, I assume it wouldn't pose any big risk unless you drop stuff in sand (and deserts aren't all sand). And processing/imaging might be a wonderful way to relax if there isn't much else to do.

Hi, Carl,

I was thinking that I should get a Dob and spent time just looking for a change.

Currently, the OO is in use when I can, but always for imaging. The SW Equinox is in its case on top of a cupboard and the Lunt surfaces when we get some clear skies. (And I have some spare time and often these two events miss each other)

The project I will be worknig on will see me really busy for a lot of the time and I was thinking, if I took the OO, I would get a Dob base for it and leave the cameras in Blighty. But, I am uneasy about the dust damaging the mirror and am really considering getting a SW 200/250P instead of risking the OO.

If I did take the cameras, then I woudl let my two sons ftp the subs and they can stack and play as much as they like.

But I am thinking of trying to re-connect with the skies and rely on the eyeball for a while.

But the question remains.. the OO or something less expensive?

Gordon.

I would say definitely a dob, but something a bit smaller, like a 200P. With dark skies you will see loads more.

A 200p is only slightly smaller than the 250px - the tubes are the same length, the bases are the same size. That said, if I was worried about dust and sand, I'd regard a 200p as much more 'disposable'.

I would take my binoculars and wait until I arrived at the destination, see what the conditions are like and then assess. You don't mention when/ if you can return home every(other) Month, or what other privileges you  are afforded. If someone is paying to convey the kit, no problems. I've travelled to some hotspots in my time, but my work always limited my  weight allowances, apart from my  personal equipment. If your there for over 12 months, you could  also purchase, borrow or even join a club.

Gordon,

Without getting into specifics, does the opportunity come with a significant extra injection of cash? If so it might be worth sacraficing some of that excess on the basis that replacing anything that suffers from the desert environment will be more easily replaced when you get back and count your £££ :grin:

Derek

The thought of sand near a tenth wave oo would concern me.

Grab something smaller that is cheap or more replaceable. You dont say where but your security may be an issue too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take my binoculars and wait until I arrived at the destination, see what the conditions are like and then assess.

That would be my thought, too.

I'd be less worried about the sand (but that doesn't mean NOT worried) and more concerned how to explain to the inevitable police questioning that I *wanted* to be in the desert and that looking at the stars was something I do for pleasure and that the telescope (with which they are almost guaranteed to be unfamiliar) - the very large and expensive telescope - is not being used to spy on anyone or anything.

A task that would be made doubly difficult if you have photographic equipment with you.

Thanks everyone,

(Only have 5 mins to reply, my "day job" is calling...)

so far, I think my concerns about particulates seem to be shared.

Security is not a problem, it's nothing to do with any global "troubles".

Yes, there is a fair increasein money, so whether I purchase a 200 or 250P Dob, or risk the OO is not a big concern.

THe project is likely to last 18 months, or more, depending on how it all goes and what support is required afterards.

I get one big shipment when I go. Size/weight is not a problem - I could include my Dome and still get no-where near the packing limit (No point, as I will be living in a villa with no-where to put it !!)

I do use the tinned duster, but don't like it anywhere near optics, as I have seen is leave a film on the surfaces

And Pete- I have met with a couple of the host Engineers- one of them is also into astronomy, as are others he knows, so I see this as a toe-in to getting to see/do more than most probably will. There is absolutely no issue around "spying" or suchlike.

Thanks, everyone, please keep your thoughts coming.

Gordon.

I would get a 150P dobsonian or a 80-90mm achro of about f/7 or f/8.

You are giving up aperture but the darker loscation should more then compensate.

I would consider whatever I took as something that could be abandoned on return to the UK.

Lots of people image and observe in deserts. It's perfectly routine. Harel Boren is a classic example. Stéphane Guisard images outside his place of work, the ESO observatory in the Atacama. These people use top class imaging kit of all kinds without aparent difficulty and are sometimes seen on SGL.  I think there's a danger of too many viewings of Lawrence of Arabia overwhelmping the imagination here! If a sandstorm were blowing you wouldn't go outside.

If it were a nice still, clear night you would. I'd be out there like a shot with the best equipment I had. That's what it's there for.

Olly

An 8" Dob, are you guys kidding? :eek: I totally disagree with most of the advice on here.

This guys going to the desert for an observing oppotunity of a lifetime. For visual you wanna get the most enormous Dob you possibly can. Dark skies love aperture. Who the hell. Wants a tiny scope in a desert? Madness. You want the biggest optics possible.

The darker the skies the bigger the scope you want. What's the point of going to places like that to observe if your not going to take advantage of it,

Leave your small scopes where they belong (in ya back yards) dark skies want monster optics.

You didn't say what desert you'd be in.

Here in the desert southwestern US, we go out in the dark desert all the time.  Of course, there are no dunes to deal with, but we still have dust storms that blank out all visibility.  We just cover our scopes with Telegizmo covers and wait 'em out.

Clear Skies

You didn't say what desert you'd be in.

Here in the desert southwestern US, we go out in the dark desert all the time. Of course, there are no dunes to deal with, but we still have dust storms that blank out all visibility. We just cover our scopes with Telegizmo covers and wait 'em out.

Clear Skies

I totally agree with that as that is what I was also trying to say as well. The local club goes out into the desert with their big scopes including what I think are dobs bigger than 8 inches and will have them set up for all night observing when the clouds permit it.

Gordon, I'd say hello on here to Matthew aka Dirk Steele ( Ithink).

He's written lots about observing in the desert and taken refractors. His (excellent) reports and kit used are on his blog at http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2013/09/25/stargazing-in-oman/

You'll hear first hand from someone who has practical experience.

Good luck, sounds like you'll have great skies.

Chris

If I was going to the desert for a yr or 2, everything I could take would be coming with me and I'd find out how to care for it in the dusty environs. these opportunities don't come around every day :D.

Do you need a guide/cook/man servant/lacky by chance 

As Cjg mentioned, I have observed in the desert a number of times including Oman and Namibia (heading back there for 2 weeks shortly).  The Oman report (http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2013/09/25/stargazing-in-oman/) includes direct experience of a severe sand storm which curtailed observing one night but I had no worries about taking my APM (LZOS made) 105mm Apo which cost in excess of £3,500.  I just made sure I was sensible and did not take unnecessary risks when the conditions were not appropriate to observe.

I have to say I am rather jealous that you will get those glorious dark skies for such a long period of time, even if occasionally mother nature will prevent you from enjoying them. 

I have had little issues with desert life and astronomy. Few poisonous snakes, poisonous lizards, poisonous spiders never stopped me. The dirt and sand are a minor worry. If you see blowing dust start up, just cover your items. It is pretty inevitable around here at least.

Oh, the dust your equipment accumulates just sitting around in a desert environment,is much more of an issue than actually using it outside. Nothing will keep dust away. Just keep vigil.

Which desert are we talking about?

I've worked in Oman as well and the desert there can be brilliant some times of year. M31 from the middle of Oman is a rare treat.

I've also worked in Saudi near the Gulf coast and the conditions there were invariably terrible.

One big thing you need to think about is customs clearance...I tried to take a 8" Meade into Saudi in1989 and I never got it out of the customs shed. After several visits I finally gave up. It's probably still there. at least I managed to rescue my Nagler Mk1s while trying to extricate the scope.

Don't worry too much about the sand..you won't be using it in a sandstorm. You are more likely to put dents in the tube carrying it in and out of trucks. Refractors are better in this regard as I'm sure you are aware.

Archived