Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR photography.

you can do Afocal projection by using an adapter that holds the lens and connects the the camera
or you can use a Barlow to do the same thing
but most astro photography is done at prime focus with as little lenses or glass in the light chain as possible

There are lots of resources online for free on "dslr astrophotography".

As said above, the commonest way is to take the dslr lens off, and get an attachment which attaches to where the dslr lens would go, and slip that into the focus tube of the scope, with no glass between the camera and the scope; effectively the telescope becomes the cameras lens, and the focal length of that set up is the focal length of the telescope. Prime focus imaging. You can put a barlow or something between the camera and the telescope. Be careful though if you are yet to make a purchase of kit, as with some telescope/dslr combinations it can be difficult to achieve focus.

As sais above, you can get a small ring to attach to some eye pieces to your dslr camera body, again making the eye piece and the telescope effectively become the cameras lens; afocal imaging.

Both require a tracking mount unless you are going to take very short exposures of very bright objects; the moon is probably the main target.

I've tried afocal imaging with baader eye pieces and found it both hard and unrewarding. But others like it.

If you enter your telescope and dslr into this website, you can get an idea of how things will look when imaging at prime focus. If you want to see how a barlow influences things, just multiple your focal length by the barlow number (eg x2 or x3) and adjust the focal length box accordingly. Remember your images won't look as bright as the ones it will show you.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

What scope, mount and camera do you have?

James

I have used this for some lunar/planetary shots it allows a barlow or eyepiece to be fitted and the distance to the camera sensor to be adjusted (this can vary the magnification so a x2 barlow can get to x3 or more) the only issue i have with it is that its limited by the diameter of the eyepiece/barlow that will fit inside.

Alan

post-32578-0-24717900-1409656314_thumb.j

I had troubles initially getting enough in-focus, the only solution was to attach my camera directly to my celestron 8mm-24mm zoom eyepiece. I've since moved away from that solution, but it did give a range of different magnification to play with if you are determined to go that route

Archived