Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Derbyshire!

Scully

Hi all,

My name is Georgie and I just wanted to jump straight in here and say hello! I'm as new as I think it is possible to be to astronomy, I got my first telescope yesterday for my birthday. I'm so keen to start learning things and getting stuck in, I haven't any previous knowledge but really want to get to know what I can and enjoy my new hobby  :grin: A trip over to Jodrell Bank earlier in the month gave me the bug and here I am. My telescope is an Oypla FX70076 which I've set up today, just need a clear sky and any useful tips for gettting the best out of it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Georgie and welcome to SGL - You've come to the right place that's for sure! This is a great place with loads of friendly folks. Have you downloaded Stellarium? A good planetarium programme that will help you start to navigate the sky.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Georgie, Welcome to the Lounge. ;)

You've chosen a fantastic hobby, and joining this Forum is a great decision, there will be lots & Lots of questions ,that come into your head, and here is where you will find the answers, from very friendly and knowledgeable fellow astronomers.

+1 for Sara's Stellarium info, you may also like to have a look at another bit of FREE stuff ,that you can print off, and it shows lots of things you'll be able to see. It's called sky maps.

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

The main thing to remember is to have FUN with your new pastime, your going to be AMAZED. ;)

Hi Georgie and welcome to the forum. Another fan of Stellarium for sure and of course it can be configure to show you the same sky that you can see from your viewing location. From a book point of view, I would like to recommend "Turn Left at Orion" which lists some 100 objects that you can view throughout the year. The book is designed to assist those who like you have modest sized scopes and provides both written and pictorial instructions on how to find the objects long with some great information about them too! You can take a look here is you want to see the layout.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy your stay here/

James

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I too am very new to the hobby and as I am sure you are aware at times it can feel a little bit overwhelming with all the information out there.

This however is the place to be for help and advise. I have been given lots of help already by people from this forum and so thank you to everyone.

I know that other people have mentioned them already but Stellarium is fantastic. Its free download to computer as well as having mobile apps. "Turn left at orion" is for me another must and has been a great help.

I live in Sheffield so perhaps not so lucky for you as far as dark skies however I have found the ios app scope nights a good little astronomy weather app and ios app sky live for weather as well as tell you rise and set times of the various solar system objects really useful. (They may be available on android???)

There are also a number of dark skies areas in the peak district which I have not tried but have been recommended. I think I will be heading to surprise view this weekend to give it a try.

Enjoy your new hobby.

John

Hi Georgie,

Welcome to the forum.

Why not pop along to the Peak Star Party in October which is held near Buxton in Derbyshire. Plenty of SGL members there and a chance to look through some very nice scopes if it's clear!

www.peakstarparty.co.uk

Cheers,

Stu

Archived