Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I cant get to focus the image in my scope!! Please HELP

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Meade 10" lightbridge.

I havent tried it out for about 10-15 days,because I was on holiday.

I have tried it out to day on terrestrial objects (Its raining outside so I couldnt possibly take the scope out + its really heavy-40 kg)

I was looking first of all through a window at a house about 5-10m away with the eyepiece that came with the scope (Meade series 4000 qx 26mm eyepiece) I couldnt get the image to focus...

I found out with my cheshire collimator that the primary mirror was off collimation So i collimmated it( i looked at a guide and the manual before i did this) I got the black circle really really close to the place it should be ( the black dot) i stopped it at there since it was really close and i was trying to get it that close more than 30 mins its probably 0,5mm off its hard to tell since it is almost dead center I think thats pretty good for first time collimation so I thought i should leave it at that (if i shouldnt of please tell me).

Still i could not focus i used an extension tube that came with the scope.I even pulled it out a bit so it would stay there,but would be farther away,still the image did not focus and my focuser stopped,so i could not focus anymore.I pulled out the eyepiece form the focuser and held it about 3-6cm obove the focuser and finally i got a focused image,but thats not how it should be,ure not supposed to hold eyepieces above the focuser.I used another eyepiece too a maxvision 16mm and i couldnt focus with that one either until i didnt pull it out and hold it over the focuser.

All this made me angry waiting 4 months for a scope saving for it and than knowing i cant focus.

IMPORTANT NOTE:I USED THE SCOPE TO FOCUS ON OBJECTS CLOSE TO ME(because I would have to pull it outside to look at the mountains and objects far away) LIKE A LAMP ACROSS THE ROAD OR A HOUSE ALL IN THE RANGE OF 10m.

Are the objects just too close or has MEADE made me waste 800 euro....

Whats wrong is it the mirror?(btw the mirror looks fine I checked it loads of times,but i dont know its thickness).

Please help me...

I was looking first of all through a window at a house about 5-10m

If "m" is meters then no a chance of it focusing on anything that close.

If the "m" is miles then it should have focussed.

Are the objects just too close

The nearest object you should focus on should really be the moon, so I am guessing Yes is the answer.

Yeah title be fine mate, I focused my first scope on a hill about ten or twelve miles away and that was only just in focus. Check it on the moon, that will relieve you

Well unless i somehow invent a filter or something to look through clouds than No I cant... (Probably i should call an aeroplane with that special chemical to cause clouds to rain and make them disappear.

Yup. Will be fine. I've never got a newt to focus on nearby objects. Sometimes an SCT or refractor will, depending on the model.

LOL it was just a test I will try it out on the stars when i get the time to do that heh.Ive already got 25 books today from my new school so Ill have to limit my stargazing times due to studying,but this Friday will be ok Its supposed to be sunny + I need a  day off anyway.

FWIW, I can't focus on the trees 25m from where I normally observe (I became curious one night, and tried - no joy. I could see their effect, but as blurred shadows.).

Normally I align my finders using a light on a hotel about 2 km away, and that will come into focus.

If I remember rightly my humble TAL-1 requires at least 200 metres distance in order to focus. Don't forget that you have an astronomical telescope designed for infinity distance viewing. Only a spotting scope designed for close work will be ok at 10 metres.

Take it outside as it's supposed to be used and point it at the sky - it will be fine.

Archived