SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pentax 20x60 view of Moon & Saturn

Alfian

Since purchasing my Pentax 20x60s a while ago, I have not alas, for various reasons I’ll not bother you with, had much “up time” with them. But yesterday evening at twilight with the week old moon and and Saturn  only about a degree (less?) above, I was out with the binos, before the clouds to the west could obscure them.

Even with a fair amount of light in the sky the detail on the moon was impressive, with good shadows on craters down the terminator and clear centre peaks on some. However it was the view of Saturn that surprised me, small yes, but a very distinctive oval - and somewhat better than fuzzy in terms of definition. I was a happy man - and then of course the clouds rolled in.

An hour later, to my surprise the clouds had more or less rolled on. Out again and with darkened skies the view were better again. With dark adapted eyes, Saturn, even with the light from the moon, was a obvious planet with rings as distinct from a less well defined oval shape. I was a very happy man - and then of course the clouds rolled in again, but I think it was a while before I stopped smiling.

There are several reports of people using the Pentax 20x60s being able, very surprisingly,to see the space between Saturn and its rings. Given the conditions - moon and low in the sky - I didn’t expect to see this, and didn’t, despite much wishfull thinking,(!) but given better conditions I can well believe its possible.

The Pentax 20x60s are certainly good. They do take some working at in terms of getting the IPD, eye relief and eye position just right but its becoming easier with my admitted limited practice. I’m looking forward to more time with them. Will give another report in due time when object, weather and opportunity come together.

There are several reports of people using the Pentax 20x60s being able, very surprisingly,to see the space between Saturn and its rings

Seen that in (mounted) 15x70 (confirmed by others present), so not surprised that it's possible at 20x!

Sounds like a good session: I watched it through, a toy 4x20 (to make a point to someone) and a 10x50. 

Thanks for commemts Steve. My understanding of the surprise element steams from the Pentaxs being something a little less than 60mm objectives but the 20x (19x?) magnification giving better contrast.

Yes it was a good session made even more enjoyable because of the spontaneous nature of it - another plus for the ultra portabel aspect of bino use.

Archived