SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor or space junk?

jam1e1

Hi , at 947 this evening saw what looked like a meteor head from zenith to in between alpheratz and scheat ( about 1/3 way from alpheratz), what was different was that it was slower than usual, took about 2 secs to traverse across also tail was about 3 moon widths, didn't seem to break up much and kept on burning up past my local horizon about 25 deg. Anyone else see it? It may have brightened up before zenith but just put eye out of eyepiece at the time hence just caught it

Location around Redhill / Reigate. Saw another typical meteor 957 also head down past mirfak from zenith. Jamie

Yes, I saw this object, much as you described. At first I thought it was a satellite, then I realised it was much too fast for that. I wondered about a meteorite although it was slower than usual for meteorites. I saw no sign of the object breaking up.  I would have said the trail was a bit longer than 3 moon widths, maybe 4. My location is in the Maidenhead area.

Trying to work out what direction that was heading in. Saw a very bright (mag 0 to -1) slowish meteor going from just north east of the zenith heading down to the eastern horizon at exactly the same time. Had an straw-yellow hue but I didn't discern a train from here in Cambridgeshire. Might have been the same one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The train seemed to form more as it went towards horizon , it didn't show much sign of breaking up as it went across sky

Paul yes sounds similar wasn't striking bright but maybe around magnitude of vega so yes around mag 0 or -1. Was certainly east direction

Hi all.  Looks like a definite event. Just had an email from a friend and club member, his description from last evening at South Benfleet Essex :-

"Possible fireball, going like the clappers, Eastish, 21.48 hrs +/- 1 min, long thin tapering tail, bright nucleus, central in oval coma, lasted a couple of seconds before fading fast".

Regards, Ed.

Yes, I saw something too around the same time from (Lewisham area). It was not as fast as some shooting stars that I have seen.  The head (if that's what it's called) was noticeably big and very bright, kind of white or  very pale blue colour. It just appeared to be the same brightness as it descended without fading. In fact it looked rather surreal. It had a very long thin line behind it as if drawing a chalk line in the sky. It stayed the same distance from the head and  was easily five or six moons in length if not longer.  It came from almost zenith straight down or straight along in an easterly direction between Cassiopeia and  the Square of Pegasus.  It was enough to make me get my 80mm out and look at  Alberio which was directly opposite my front door. The council in their wisdom have kindly upgraded street lighting in the area and now right outside my flat there is an even more annoyingly taller brighter lamp. It so sucks... Arhhhhhhhhh

Yes! So happy this is on here, I also saw this out the corner of my eye whilst aiming my finder scope for m31. Though it was a shooting star but seemed thick if that makes sense. Nice to know I'm not totally insane!

Archived