Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-101 2 Panel Mosaic

dave_galera

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at a mosaic of the Tulip nebula region of Cygnus narrowband HST palette. I find this of Cygnus very interesting I intend to do a lot of this region next year and have ambitions of a huge mosaic, but first things first.
With this image I was determined to get to grips with PI's deconvolution as I have always have big problems with ringing, and aslo try out TGVDenoise and Graient Merge Mosaic (Thanks Harry for video tutorials, couldn't have done without them!!) but I still to experiment with GMM a bit more and get it into the correct place in the workflow as it is prone to developing nasty artifacts if there are stars in the seems plus a few other funnies.

Details
Telescope: FSQ85 with reducer
Camera: Atik 383L with Atik EFW2 Filter wheel
Filters: Baader Ha, OIII and SII
Integration: 36 hours, 18 hours each panel + Bias, Darks and Flats etc
Subs: 36 x 600s each filter
Processing: PixInsight for reduction, cosmetic correction, stacking, DBE, TGVDenoise, Deconvolution, Gradient Merge Mosiac
Stretching with Fits Liberator
Colourisation in Photoshop CC 2014

Thanks for looking.

Dave

post-12917-0-41667000-1409507199_thumb.j

Thanks Sara, your comments are always appreciated, and yes this is an interesting region with lots more mosaics to be had and I have identified a region of about 20 x 15 degrees that would make a very large mosaic but a very large number of panes.

One comment I have had back is a slight halo around some of the stars so going to have a look at that.

Dave

Dave, that is a total beauty. Yes, a few stars have a slight halo and I wish you success in fixing them. I would also love to know how you go about the fix! That really is for the 'trainspotters' out there though. The detail, texture, clarity and depth in this image is truly magnificent. Well done! Now, where does that come from? Is it the scope? A fine piece of kit. Or is it the amount of data? 36 hours, that's a fair chunk of photons! Or is it simply great processing skills? No doubt it is a combination of all of the above. Whatever, a great result. My initial reaction to the colour was negative, but the more I look at it, the more I like the shade of yellowy/green that you have chosen.

On another tack - I see in your sig that you have the EdgeHD 800. How do you get on with imaging with that scope?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding sooner, been away on holiday.

Thanks everybody for all your comments, its what keeps me going. It is still being a pig to process, had a couple of goes at it but still not happy with the  halos round some of the stars.

@GAV, The halos are being caused by the stars are slightly different sizes taken with the different filters, so having to ensure the stars sizes are all the same size for all. Have been playing with Morphological Transformations in PI and I think it is going to do the trick. Going back a few years Olly impressed upon me that you just can't have enough data and its something I have stuck to ever since.

On processing I believe in 'horses for course', while PI is a fantastic package it just can't do what Photoshop can do, so my general workflow is to create channel masters in PI, FitsLiberator to do the initial stretching, then into Photoshop to colourise and do all the final tweaking in terms of contrast control, colour control, lightening or darkening areas etc. using masked curves and selective colour. Quite often I will end up with anything between 10 and 30 layers, each layer addressing just a small area of the image.

Dave

Archived