Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well, that's exceptionally irritating...

JamesF

The weather forecast has been hardly grim but certainly far from encouraging for the last few days.  Today and the next few days are supposed to be dry and moderately warm according to the forecast, but solid unrelenting cloud.  Imagine my irritation then, when having had a rather nice steak and a comfortable few glasses of wine, I stepped outside this evening to find a clear sky.

In fact not only is it clear, the Milky Way looks drop-dead gorgeous.  The "split" through the centre of Cynus is blindingly obvious and the detail visible is quite beautiful.

Sadly I've had a few too many glasses already to trust myself with any expensive optical equipment, so I shall pour myself another and sit outside for a while making do with what nature gave me.

James

What a shame James, still I can think of worse things than sitting under a lovely sky. Do you trust yourself with some binos? :-)

I have the opposite problem. The forecast says it should be clear now, but still heavy cloud. Will wait up for a while then head to bed.

I should have been I south Wales this evening, but the trip was called off due to excessive cloud cover. I now have the same view from my back yard. A clear sky, albeit without an obvious Milky Way. That particular treat is ruined by living on the outskirts of Bristol. Fingers crossed for next time.

Not at all bad over here in York tonight. Some quality time with my 4" f13, then a great 30mins to finish with 10x50 bins. Seems like ages since Ive had such a long session. And as you say James, the milkyway is gorgeous tonight!

Now, is it too late for some warming red wine....?!

Nice here too but I decided not to observe tonight. Sometimes it's good to do something else for a change and the Universe isn't going anywhere :smiley:

(though Comet Jacques seems in a hurry !)

Just finished off a very frustrating time catching things between the clouds. Main thing I wanted to see was Jacques in the same fov as the Garnet Star, managed that nicely in some gaps in the cloud. Looked lovely

Yep, same here, got a gap about 1. Then had a lovely view of the garnet star , light orangey red, with the comet on the fov. Cloud rolled in and filled the sky.

Got up at 5 , looked out to see Gemini and the whole of Orion , Perseus overhead, hurrah !

Nick.

I never trust the weather forecast here. Last night they told us it was going to rain on Tuesday and Wednesday, when they can't get it right from one day to the next I wonder why they waste their breath. They always have very pretty girls doing these jobs, if it Michael Fish you would feel angry about the totally inaccurate forecast.

Another site I use told me sunshine all day on Thursday last, outside it was raining.

Alan

Got up at 5 , looked out to see Gemini and the whole of Orion , Perseus overhead, hurrah !

Nick.

Always an exciting time of year when you get your first view of Orion. I've not had mine yet, but might do some early mornings over the next few weeks to get a glimpse.

It was nice and clear with occasional low cloud here last night, despite weather forecast. Got a brief first light with the new binos, which was very exciting. Hoping for longer clearer night tonight (which will be wine free).

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had this quite a bit last week and today looks like it may go the same way, every day I have been umming and ahhing whether or not to set up but I think finally today I will charge up some batteries and set the Polarie up and maybe even put the scope on the mount too so if it does eventually clear up properly I will at least be ready for it, steak and wine included. I'll risk it. :D

The weather is too erratic in late summer, it was nice and clear last night so I set up and was looking through my polarscope at.... cloud! They rolled thick and fast so I packed up and went to bed only for the wife to cone in 20 mins later and ask why I wasn't out when it's so clear >.<

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes a few scoops can even increase your observational productivity.

For example I saw all 220 messiers on one night from Tenerife In April after an afternoon on Planter's Punches......

Mick

Archived