SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dobsonian Refractor? Wow!

Kropster

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually you most definitely could put a refractor on a dobsonian mount.

It wouldn't be any use whatsoever for stargazing, but maybe someone wants to buy it just to look at it?  These things are really pretty after all...

Actually you most definitely could put a refractor on a dobsonian mount.

It wouldn't be any use whatsoever for stargazing, but maybe someone wants to buy it just to look at it?  These things are really pretty after all...

Really......

http://homepage.ct.metrocast.net/~hfs/Projects/Dobfractor/dfmount_files/image008.jpg

This placed on a tripod would work extremely well. in fact I'm considering a refractor on a dob mount for my next project.

At one time TeleVue made a small Dobsonian mount for refractors. It's a good way to mount a spotter, at least.

Olly

Dont suppose you have any info on them Olly?

TV have made some very nice mounts over the years I wouldn't mind a look at one of their dob mounts.

Really......

http://homepage.ct.metrocast.net/~hfs/Projects/Dobfractor/dfmount_files/image008.jpg

This placed on a tripod would work extremely well. in fact I'm considering a refractor on a dob mount for my next project.

Hmmm...is that really a "dobsonian" mount?  Surely the big advantage of the dobsonian mount design is that you can move the telescope in both azimuth and altitude - smoothly moving up and down and twisting left and right.  That mount has azimuth, but no altitude -- you'd need to put it on a tripod to gain altitude control.  But if you're doing that, why not just use a ball head type mount?  What am I missing?

-simon

Oh wait, I know what I'm missing.  I envisaged the telescope lying on the two half-circles, but obviously those are for mounts at the side just like with a reflector.  That's what I was missing!

Ok, that's interesting - You're right, it would be a very interesting and quite stable mount.  I wonder how you'd add some kind of tension to make sure the telescope stays in place?  And it would need to be on a pretty tall tripod (or you'd need to kneel down a lot!).

-simon

ok so after reading this thread I went & sent this message to the vendor

"hello. I was looking at this item but I am a little confused by the description. The picture shows a dobsonian mounted newtonian scope, not a refractor, Please can you clarify exactly the type of scope please. Regards, Steve"

and got this reply this morning

"Hi there,  apologies for any confusion caused, the item on sale will be what is described in the title and not by the image, I will look into getting that changed as soon as possible.

Regards

Camera Centre UK"

So they are selling a dobsonian refractor telescope then? I will keep my eye out for the updated picture  :grin: 

"hello. I was looking at this item but I am a little confused by the description. The picture shows a dobsonian mounted newtonian scope, not a refractor, Please can you clarify exactly the type of scope please. Regards, Steve"

"Hi there,  apologies for any confusion caused, the item on sale will be what is described in the title and not by the image, I will look into getting that changed as soon as possible.

Regards

Camera Centre UK"

So they are selling a dobsonian refractor telescope then? I will keep my eye out for the updated picture  :grin: 

I'm even more confused now. The rest of the listing relates to a Bushnell 4.5" dob mounted reflector as shown in the picture.

Regards

Camera Centre UK"

.......and a picture paints a thousand words! They haven't replied to my ebay response yet?  But they must notice something is wrong if several ebayer's  are correcting them!

Archived