SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoculars looking a bit battered

Lee_P

Hi all,

My Orion Vista binoculars have given me many years of faithful service, but now their leatherette covering is peeling off. Does anyone have suggestions for how to patch them up?

post-37018-0-96885300-1409416536_thumb.j

I'm sure you are able to buy new leatherette sheets from somewhere. Maybe a furniture shop or a fabric shop?. If it were me, i'd probably just use black electrical tape.

Here's the first link that came up:

http://www.hmtextiles.co.uk/black-leatherette-fabric-by-the-metre-140-p.asp

Whoops, its out of stock. Just do a search for "black leatherette sheet".

What about your council recycling centre? An old leather settee / chair will do, cut some  material  from the  back of a chair /settee, plenty of material to fabricate a new cover ! A simpler option would be to use self-amalgamating tape, which will give a waterproof and non-slip finish?

There is a German company that makes leatherette for cameras and binoculars, it's available in many different colours. The name escapes me, but I'll post any more details if I can find them.

Don't use tape or such, vintage binoculars with good optics are increasing in value. I have quite a few pairs, as I don't like modern roof prisms.

Archived