Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My homebrew skywatcher weight...

szymon

So the 10kg of counterweight isn't enough for my imaging rig on the HEQ5 Pro; with DSLR on the Explorer 200P it tips in the wrong direction.  So today I made me an extra counterweight.

I might have to cut it down, there may now be a little *too* much weight and I can only get so close to the top, but I can always cut it down.  Ideally I want it to be as short as possible when balanced, so that I can add extra stuff later and balance by just extending further.

post-38149-0-62843300-1409398642_thumb.j

So the 10kg of counterweight isn't enough for my imaging rig on the HEQ5 Pro; with DSLR on the Explorer 200P it tips in the wrong direction.  So today I made me an extra counterweight.

I might have to cut it down, there may now be a little *too* much weight and I can only get so close to the top, but I can always cut it down.  Ideally I want it to be as short as possible when balanced, so that I can add extra stuff later and balance by just extending further.

attachicon.gifhb_weight.jpg

Not the tidiest solution, even if it is cheap......:)

Not the tidiest solution, even if it is cheap...... :)

Bah, you with your NEQ6 Pro and your 300p Goto Dob and multi-squillion pound setup just don't get that Cheap+AvailableTonight override tidy ;-)

Why not just dumbbell weights. Neater and you can add and remove as needed in increments.

Mainly because I don't have any dumbbell weights lying around (the weights set we have at home is an all-solid one) and I'm loathe to go out and buy some to use, if I wanted to spend money it would go to FLO!

The concrete brick was lying around in the garden, I have a decent SDS hammer drill and some big drill bits, so this seemed like the easiest thing to do!

-simon

Ok, I can just about balance the 200P and DSLR if the SW weights are at the bottom of the chain.  My extra weight is 3kg, and with it in the middle it isn't enough.  So now I need to affix it to one of the SW weights so that it doesn't twist around...will look even more rube goldberg in a moment ;-)

I like it :)

What might 'tidy' it up is to remove all the skywatcher weights and just use rocks :)

Great idea

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Well, the skywatcher weights have a very good weight-to-height ratio.  My 3kg brick is significantly wider than their 5kg weights!  I'd need to get some heavier bricks.

Actually, I probably have some heavy bits of iron lying around somewhere...hrm...maybe time to get the grinder out!

Archived