SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser Aurora

As I am new to using a telescope, I will have a lot of questions. I "accidentally" got hooked when my boy asked me for a telescope after a visit to Kennedy Space Center. We bought this:

http://www.bresserstore.com/bresseraurora114mmaz-juniortelescope.aspx

We have mainly used it to view our moon, as that is how I lined up the red dot finder. I am curious what the limitations or abilities would be for a scope like this. For example, I did lock on to Saturn (I think). I only saw a magnified star-looking object. When trying to zoom, I then see the spider. So, I do not know if I am doing something wrong, or if the telescope is limited.

I do live in a subdivision, and a few neighbors leave porch lights on, so I do not have the opportunity to be in total darkness.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Hi, when you say zoom do you mean turning the focusing knob. To zoom in on an object you have to change to a smaller focal length eyepiece unless you have an actual zoom eyepiece. Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

The link to your scope says it comes with two eyepieces but not what size

they are, usually 25mm and 10mm, use the 25mm to target the object, then

change to the 10mm, you will have to re-focus, turn the focus knob very slowly

you will see a circular blob, if it gets bigger you are turning the knob the wrong way,

the object gets smaller as you get near to focus, the eyepieces may not be 25 and 10

but use the high number first then the lower. Have fun.

Yes, I was meaning to say "focus" on an object. The eyepieces are 26mm and 9.7mm. For whatever reason, I was expecting the image to grow larger with focus, so now I know. I just picked up the book Night Watch, so I assume it will also teach me many of these basics.

I suppose the scope will do to help introduce me to the night sky while I find my way around. Heck, I felt happy to be able to look up into the sky and even identify Saturn. I could not do even that a short while ago. If our rains let up, I will be taking it out to try again. I am mainly curious as to how limited I will be, since it is listed as a child's telescope. Also, it helps that I paid less than half what the link sells it for. 

The main thing is that you and your boy are sharing what could prove to be a very interesting and educational hobby, and getting outside away from games consoles.

Planets can be tough, as they seem to zip through the field of view.

When your weather improves have a go at the very rich star fields around Casseopia the big W to your North East, you'll be amazed at what you see and focussing is somewhat easier.

Evidently you have a computer, a good free download is Stellarium it will help to show you what is up in the sky for any given time at your location.

Thank you. A copy of Stellarium came with the telescope. If it was free, perhaps that is why they included it. I have found it useful, and use it to become familiar with what is up there. You are right about the time spent with my boy. I have tried to get him into so many different things; this time he found something he liked and got me hooked.

Archived