SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 6910

Scooot

I had a nice couple of hours last night between about 9.30 and 11.30. The seeing wasn't particularly good but it was nice and clear. Unusually I actually planned ahead and looked at some new targets. I was quite taken by this star cluster in Cygnus. I was viewing it at 120x with my 10mm and as it was so high I had the benefit of seeing it in the darkest part of the sky, contrast was great so the stars sparkled against a very black background. I was also quite comfortable for a change as I was using my new ironing stool to observe.

It's worth a look if you get a chance.

post-20507-0-62843300-1409343586_thumb.j

I read a bit about it last night on here after my post and didn't know it had a name either. I don't remember the yellow stars standing out much either and I didn't see the rocking horse shape either. I can't have looked very hard after all - :).

I'ts going to be my first target next time I go out for another look.

http://www.starobserver.eu/openclusters/ngc6910.html

This is from my observations on the 6th of June this year. Some lovely targets here,

Cygnus and a few planetary nebulae , including the bright blinking NGC 6826. pk64+5.1 was mid arc at 19h 34.8m +30 31" as bright as NGC 7027. All three took up to x100. The track of the Milky Way here provides many open clusters, I looked at 23 here, but the best were,

NGC 6819 with a dense star cloud.

NGC 6910 the upright "rocking horse " , lovely full fov at x150.

NGC 6871 quite stunning with a double double of stars at x50

NGC 7039 a bright outline of stars.

NGC 7031 showed 4 stars and a star cloud.

NGC 6997 was framed by four bright stars.

NGC 6866 showed a dense star cloud.

NGC 6883 was bright with a double to the centre.

NGC 6991 again stunning with one bright star and jigsaw puzzle bits.

M29 (NGC 6913) a lovely "power station" up to x150.

M39 , just stunning, but not as good as,

NGC 6910, a lovely asterism of the "Y" cluster , a really defined bright letter.

Thanks Nick,

I'll have a look at these. I was also looking at the blinking planetary the other night, the first time for a while. It's fascinating, at the time I thought it unusual that I could see the central star but just read it's this that causes the blinking affect. I was looking at 120x but I think it would take more, although I don't know if more mag would affect the blinking.

• 2 months later...

It was a lovely clear moonlight night yesterday and I went out with the intention of re-doing my NGC 2210 sketch but it was far too low and barely visible so I had a look for something else to have a go at. NGC 6510 was quite high and showing quite well so this is my effort.

post-20507-0-81871200-1415306788.jpg

It's more of an impression than pinpoint accuracy but I'm quite pleased with it.

Afterwards I thought I'd do an SGL search to see if anyone had posted anything about NGC 6510 and came across this thread. I was surprised to say the least when I realised I started it. You know you're getting old when .........- :)

Archived