Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Favourite globs - A southerner's perspective

southernman

Had the 10" SW dob out a couple of nights ago in the company of my very understanding girlfriend . She has very limited vision ( technically she is legally blind ) but is able to view objects with some success through the eyepiece .

During the course of the evening Karen asked what my favourite globular clusters were. I replied " let me show you my top five".

This list is very easy to pick - Omega Centauri , 47 Tucanae , M22 , NGC6752 in Pavo and NGC6397 in Ara. All are large , bright and well resolved in the 10" even in my light polluted back yard and with her poor sight.

Whilst some Northern observers would be familiar with M22 and have read about Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae ( or have travelled South and observed them ) the remaining two are nearly as spectacular as M22 and worthy of attention to those whose horizon is low enough to the South.

So what are other Southern ( or not to far North ) observers top 5 globular clusters?

Peter

Archived