Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First outdoor session

Today, for the first time I did an observing session not on my balcony (last floor with no ceiling) but on the shore (I live more or less 100 from the sea), on a wharf extending seaward to be precise.

First thing I tried to spot Saturn.... succeeded but unfortunately since it was setting behind a highly light polluted hill the seeing was really poor... did't manage to focus! All I was able to see was a beige blurred circle with a clearer oval around... and chasing it was tough!

Then I spotted M13... quite easy to spot, beautiful although dim! After this I was really thrilled! 

Then I observed again Albireo and finally managed to see the color difference!

And for last I tried to spot the andromeda galaxy but I failed :(

Not a lot of stuff... some failures... but yet Im satisfied! I'm really enjoying this new hobby!

I did pretty much the same last night, first time really trying to find specific sights. M13 popped out in the eyepiece almost straightaway, surprising me a little, and Albireo was shockingly beautiful. I pushed up to my highest mag ep and spent a good ten minutes trying to sear the image into my memory.

Also failed with Andromeda, I thought at one point I might have it but my scope was dewing up quite badly. I could comfort myself with knowing I had taught myself a little of my way round the night sky, recognising Cassiopeia, the Summer Triangle stars by name, and a few others. I'm still terrible with a planisphere though...

I also had my camera out to take some Milky Way shots to stack together, but I messed up with the automatic shutter release, somehow ended up with 14 second exposures instead of 30, a shame as I really wanted a memento of this thrilling first night.

Wishing you clear dark skies, Freedom2099, and happy galaxy-hunting!

Last night I also managed my first outdoor session with my new Astrotrac. I wanted to be near the house and power whilst I got to grips with the software and hardware! The tango sky didn't help, but I used the night to learn the kit. Was pleased with the very first photo I managed, a stack of 5 x 60 subs and darks, and I managed to capture the Andromeda. Next clear night and i'll take the set up somewhere not under 3 blooming street lights! :-)

post-35245-0-13960100-1409301102_thumb.j

Archived