SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

do you need chemistry in astronomy?

Mairead-loves-stars

I asked this on yahoo answers ut no one replied. I'm 13 and im REALLY into astrology and im started to get into astronomy. I'm getting a telescope for my irthday and i really enjoy all of it. However recently i chose my sujects and i only chose one science and i chose iology.I want to e an astronomer and im going to crash physics and take that as a higher ut do i need chemistry or will i need to do that in college? thanks:)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chemistry along with many exact sciences 

go to build the subject of Astronomy. Mostly Professional, or dedicated amateurs will 

practice some of the disciplines,  It will depend upon what you finally decide what kind of 

work you wish to embark upon.

There are m,ore enlightened member here who can put you on the right track, once you can supply more details of your

future ambitions. If astrology is what you are talking about, you will get little if any help on SGL I'm afraid.

That subject is regard with some derision here, and many other Astro forums too.

Ron.

Hi m-l-s

just my opinion but I would have thought you could manage without chemistry. Check out the University entry requirements for astronomy. You will need Physics for sure.

You will also need a working 'b'. lol

I'm not a professional astronomer, nor do I even know any personally, but my understanding is that there are many different disciplines that might relate to astronomy if you were planning to do them on a professional basis and that they draw in different degrees from maths, physics, chemistry and biology.  Unless you really have no affinity for chemistry therefore, I'd suggest that taking it keeps your options open as far as possible.  If you find later that you are more drawn to one area than another then might be the time to be more choosy, but at 13 I'd say take all the science you can.

James

Physics for sure but your maths will need to be at a very good standard.

Without a natural aptitude for advanced maths you might want to re-think your intentions!

About 39 years ago I sat in front of the old style "Careers Officer" at school and said I wanted to be an astronomer.

Failing the eleven-plus on an astronomical scale was as close as I got :D

I have taken astronomy 1, biology for science majors 1+2, chemistry (not successfully though must retake) I have discovered that all the sciences go hand in hand somehow which makes them relatable in some way. Oh I have also taken both vertebrate and invertebrate zoology.

In case you haven't, I'd also do a bit of research into what modern-day astronomers actually do.  You may well get to play with some very big and expensive toys (and who wouldn't want to do that?), but staring at the sky through an eyepiece quite probably won't feature at all.

That said, if science is what floats your boat, do science anyhow.  You may not end up being an astronomer, but who knows what other interesting opportunities might turn up before you leave school or university?

James

Hi Mairead, welcome to the forum. Astrology is far removed from the science of Astronomy, and Im afraid what you read in most astrological books, charts are highly misleading in the study of the night sky we see today.

I recommend you stick with Physics as far as you can, that is a valuable discipline, and will give you a lot of understanding going forward on the science. Mathematics is a good discipline to also hold as there is a lot of mathematical work required in understanding the motions, and the forces between astronomical bodies and also within them.

Biology and Chemistry are becoming more of a requirement in planetary astronomy, mainly for the understanding of   how life forms and how to detect life and the methods and science behind it.

Ultimately Mairead it comes down to you, what fasinates you about the night sky, what makes you want to look further into it. it is this that will help you determine what you want to get from this science. from that choice you can better decide the subjects you want. Does your school have a GCSE Astronomy course you could take also. 

I wish you the very best 

Hello mairead and welcome to SGL!!  I think that you will need Maths and Physics as your strongest subjects as well as chemistry as a minimum to get into professional astronomy these days - but ask your careers adviser at school or look up university degree course entry requirements in astronomy to get an idea of exactly what is required.

I'd say keep your options open. If you are a "scientist" i'd do as many sciences as possible; physics, biology, chemistry.

They will all give you valuable knowledge and basic understanding, which is likely to be of benefit to any adult scientist, especially a modern rounded professional astronomer: physics clearly is important; chemistry is important for the astro-geology and much analytical laboratory work with extra-terrestrial specimens and material sciences for planning missions to other worlds; biology is all round important for understanding the processes which led to and maintain life on earth, and in the analysis of environments and data to be able to work out if there is life elsewhere in the universe and also in the design and execution of sending manned missions to far off places and maintaining their well-being.

Good luck.

James

i thought astronomy people would like astrology?

Hundreds or even thousands of years ago, astronomy kind of grew out of astrology.  People believed they could tell the future by observing the stars and decided that they therefore needed to make very accurate observations of the stars and planets.  But astronomy is a science.  It's based on observation, creation of hypotheses based on those observations, testing those hypotheses, repeatability and peer review.

Astrology is quite the opposite.  It is completely invented.  You'd think that in the thousands of years that have passed that if it real were someone might have been able to establish a mechanism by which it worked, yet no-one has in terms that fit with our scientifically-established understanding of nature.  Some people claim they have, but they don't stand even limited scrutiny.  So it seems that either astrology is twaddle, or all the technology that forms part of your every-day life -- your computer, the internet, television, radio, mobile phones, cars, the toaster, even water coming out of the tap are based on a seriously flawed understanding of nature.

And therefore you're left with a choice.  Either astrology is real, or so much of the "stuff" that surrounds you and allows you to live shouldn't really work.  On the basis of your own thirteen years of experience, which would you say is the most likely?

James

Astrology v astronomy is a difficult distinction to make all on your own.

When I was young I looked in the bible, horoscopes and encyclopedias to find the answers to my questions.

Luckily I had a scientifically minded parents to guide me through my difficult patches.

I wish i'd had SGL too :)

sorry! my keyboard doesn't work very well :/ thanks for all of the advice; i thought astronomy people would like astrology?

Astrology is only interesting for it's historical context. Historically it's interesting because it's an early attempt to model the universe but after a brief look to realise it doesn't work you can move on and find something that does.

Whether you need chemistry or not depends on what you want to get into in astronomy. My first degree was in astrophysics and the entrance requirement was principally Physics and Maths. Chemistry would be needed if you wanted to get into fields such as astrobiology. There are probably other fields where it would be useful but for most areas physics and maths are what you need.

My thought would also be to retain your options for as long as possible. Although I ended up as a (Particle) Physicist, I found Chemistry gave me some (very necessary) relief from boredom. lol. And e.g. Physical Chemistry... particularly *spectroscopy* is very relevant to Astronomy. Same with Organic Chemistry... "Origins of life" etc. Doubtless studied from a rigourous theoretical standpoint by Physics students, but it is Chemists (Biologists) who are probably more "hands on" re. interpreting spectra and applying real world system knowledge to something useful...   :p

But, if all else fails, you can become a science journalist...

banging on about the iniquities of Astrology etc. [teasing] :D

With all the superb amateur kit around these days plus the huge pool of knowledge available from sites like this I imagine you can have almost as much fulfillment from "amateur astronomy" as you could have as a pro. I would think you also would be constrained in a very narrow field of research.

"I want to (b)e an astronomer"

OK then young man, if you want to be an astronomer, be one.  Whether you eventually decide that you're going to stick to that career path or find something more financially rewarding like writing computer games or being a Doctor or a musician maybe, is in some ways irrellevant.  Be an astronomer.  Go out in the garden (if you have one) and look up at the stars on a clear night.  Look for the Andromeda Galaxy, look for the nebula in Orion, look for ...  whatever you want to look for ...    you are being an astronomer ...  of sorts.   Add a telescope, add a few years ...  and who knows, you might still be looking for objects in the sky even when you're a platinum album selling rock star,  but you'll still be an astronomer  :)

Archived