Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mindblowing Milky Way

BrettP77

I have just returned from a few days visiting family in deepest darkest Normandy in France.

I was lucky enough to be staying somewhere with no hint of light pollution for miles around and was stunned to see how much difference it makes.

The number of stars I could see was staggering, and to see Andromeda with the naked eye was just incredible.

But the biggest thrill for me was the Milky Way. I have never seen this before with my own eyes and was left speechless by this magnificent view, stretching across the sky above me with the dark, central region clearly visible. Simply stunning.

My aim now is to take my 200p with me next time. Either that or to move there permanently!

was at a dark sky site in deepest darkest Scotland last weekend
had my 200p but was overwhelmed by the stars I could see and the Milky way spread out like a ribon

I ended up just scanning the sky until the mirrors dewed up

Oh believe me I could move there permanently in a heart beat

My aim now is to take my 200p with me next time. Either that or to move there permanently!

Both would make for a good plan, it is indeed a magnificent spectacle. Journeying away from Towns and Cities to reach a dark sky site, in my own case between 45 - 50 min or more, is a worth while venture to experience the full arch of the Milky Way.

Hi BrettP77, I know how you must feel after your holiday.

We were in Cornwall between Mullion and Helston last week and we had 4 nights of dark clear skies and the Milky Way. The views to the south (Sagittarius and Scorpio) especially were fantastic. Normally back home it's light pollution in that direction (well in every direction really). We were using 10x50's and 15x70's.

Cheers,

Steve

Yes. Ive been down cornwall many years ago and some of the dark skies i found were amazing.

Up here occasionally in the middle of the night it can be exceptional too. But unfortunately very rarely. All too often i get the coastal cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived