Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The stones that roll in Metius B

astroavani

It is a crater 14 km in diameter located Metius located within and near its north wall. In this western region have known for a remarkable training Vallis Rheita and south Rimae Jansen, both clearly visible in the photo. 
Impacts at all scales dominate the lunar surface. This is a relatively small (440 m diameter) unnamed crater on the southwest rim of Metius B, which itself is a 14 km diameter crater on the floor of Metius, an 88 km diameter crater in the southeast highlands on the lunar nearside. Some post-impact modifications to this crater are readily apparent. Although the crater itself is circular, you can see that the materials inside the crater slumped towards the downslope side of the crater following the impact. There are also numerous boulder trails emanating from around this very fresh crater, created when the rocks strewn outwards by this impact event landed on the slope and began rolling towards the bottom of Metius B.

Even though the Moon may not seem like a terribly dynamic environment, in actuality impacts still occur on a fairly regular basis. One of the critical goals of the LROC scientific investigation is to provide the necessary information to quantify the recent impact rate, providing a key data point for designers of future lunar habitats.
Source: LROC-Quick Map 
Adaptation: Avani Soares 
Top photo obtained from 193 frame stacked on AS! 2 and processed in Photofiltre, Irfan and Fitswork 
Photo obtained by low-NASA probe LROC

6c0d967751b4fc1862b79bdb99b78189.1824x0_

Hello Luc! 

Very interesting your post in another forum. 

About a year ago I posted a post on Astrobin on Schiller crater and its similarity to some Martian craters in the same post took to name a rock that rolled down into the crater Schiller and indicated its approximate location. 

If you want to see the post: http://www.astrobin.com/47460/0/

1210ab285ea593955cbad29ab6d3916c.1824x0_

Hello Luc! 

I appreciate the links, I usually always consult LPOD for information but there's a lot there, and this particular link was very welcome. 

Usually also refer LROC / NASA for more detailed information but I think you already know, anyway here is the link :: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/archives/435-Impact- melt-tongue.html.

Archived