SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saved By The Strap!

Charic

The Revelations took a tumble?   I tried to see if C/2014 E2  Comet Jaques could be visible between the clouds, using my 15x70's. Almost  as soon as placing  the tripod into position, several spots of heavy rain was sufficient to head back inside.  I placed the tripod mounted scope just inside the door whilst I went to retrieve the Dining chair, when I heard  a very loud 'Crack'? Turns out the tilt mechanism couldn't have been tight enough ( having  adjusted it before moving :confused: ? ) ] allowing the tilt to move forwards rapidly. I assume that on reaching full forward tilt the weight of the revelations was sufficient to pull itself and the adaptor  free from the tripod mount, but fortunately still held aloft because of the strap. I don't  (yet!) see any physical damage anywhere!  ALWAYS USE YOUR STRAPS!

Would have been an excellent excuse to go and get some newer 10x50's earlier than envisioned  :smiley:

I had a similar incident several years ago with a pair of Helios binoculars. Suffered damage to the right objective cell and lens and was 'beyond economic repair'.

My late step-father 'came to the rescue' and presented with his Sony 7x50's when my mother told him what happened.

Archived