SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with banding issue (and subsequent workflow)

Hi,

as my first post and as a beginner in the filed of astrophotography. I would like to ask for your help. As one of my first images I did a series of 74 images at 25 seconds. I do not recall the sequence of events exactly, but the weather was quite hot and this might not have been the first set of images for the night. Anyway, I think I have a heat related banding (?) issue with my images. Attached you can see the (unprocessed) stacking results of DSS. One with tracking and one without.

How can I correct this? :icon_sad:

I used bias and dark files for this DSS project. Normally my 40D is not exhibiting this kind of banding, so shooting flats would not recreate the issue, at least not easily.

Moreover, how would you suggest I go about and join these images? My vision is to take the tracked images and combine it with the static forground. How do I do this when the rotation has caused some parts of the sky (near the horizon) to have less observations, blur, etc. Tips? Tutorials?

And one more question, how come I don't get crips startrails in my static shot...?

BR,

Isac

post-38570-0-75153500-1408727849.jpg

post-38570-0-94280200-1408727852.jpg

I think I would stack fewer tracked pictures to reduce the length of the scenery trails. Then combine the two in Photoshop with a simple mask.

I believe some people track at half speed to reduce this effect. This is a very wide angle lens so you should get away with fewer longer exposures anyway.

Andrew

The picture you've posted doesn't show significant banding on my monitor. Do the bands show on individual frames or just the stack? If just on the stack I would try recombining without the bias and dark frames and see if there's any improvement.

Cheers

Andrew

Archived