SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wall power DC Adapter

Hey guys

My XT8G has arrived and its setup (pics to follow). I don't have a car-to-wall adapter for the power cable that comes with the scope. I have some laptop cables. 

The requirements are "12V DC 2.1A".

I have a Output: 11.0-13V DC 3.1A Max. 42W" adapter. Im ok with thw 11-13V, the only concern is the 42W. Since it is not mentioned on the scope, I don't want to use it incase. Can anyone shed some light?

Tx

Enrico

The 42w figure is a derived result of what the load (your scope) will draw in amps and the voltage being supplied by your source (the adaptor, aka the power supply) so dont worry about that for now. *

The important figures are the requirement of 12v and the current draw of 2.1a

If you trust your adapter to put out no more than that 13v then that will be ok (is it fail-safe ) (the 12v specified by the scope with a car-plug will be (should be ! ) tolerant of car type voltages that can rise to 13.8v, or a bit more if it is an old car badly adjusted !)

The 3.1A that the adapter says it can deliver should be well capable (even if it is bragging!) of supplying the 2.1A required by the scope.

If you are really nervous you could put a car tail-light bulb on the adapter and measure its output with a multimeter (Lidl were doing a cheapish one the other day )

*  "Output: 11.0-13V DC 3.1A Max. 42W"

Well the max is 13 x 3.1 = 40.3w so either they are being conservative in 42w or their calculator is not up to the job :)

Caveat, - - I am giving my thoughts only, I am advising no one to do anything  ! :)

Used the 12V dc A2 and worked perfectly last night. Tx for help. I know its tricky situation with advice on a topic like this because you don't want to mess up someone's scope with advice. 

Clear skies.

Archived