Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Planetary Nebulae

In late 2013 I found an interesting list of the brightest planetary nebulae all visible in the Northern Hemisphere.

For the last two nights I have choosen a few objects to observe after viewing the Comet. The first night I used the Skywatcher 150PDS but having failed to view one object in Delphinus I used the 10" Dob last night.

I star hopped to each object using the Uranometria star atlas together with the 80mm Opticstar frac acting as a finder (first night) and my Stellarvue 80mm finder on the Dob last night.

The first night I choose some of the brighter PN -  NGC6905 (Blue Flash Neb - Delphinus), NGC7009 (Saturn Neb - Aquarius), NGC7027 (Magic Carpet Neb - Cygnus)and NGC7662 (Blue Snowball - Andromeda). I tried to view NGC6891 in Delphinus but failed with the 6" Newt.

Last night I used the 10" Dob and was able to see NGC6891 although I had to set a high magnification to see it. Finally I decided to view PNs in Hercules and was able to view NGC6210 (Turtle Neb), IC4593 (White Eye Pie) and finally NGC6058 which was faint at 12.9 mag although was ok in the 8mm Ethos. On some of the objects I used an 0lll filter although on NGC6058 it completely disappeared.

This PN catalogue is a nice little list if you fancy studying the brighter PNs.

The brightest planetary nebulae (white) 2nd ed.pdf

Nice report. Like the list too, will check it against the list I tend to use (which is a bit longer): http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/plannebs.html

NGC 6891 is tricky, I found, not because it is faint, but it is very compact. I first spotted it 3 years ago with Olly's Dob, and at first we failed due to bad seeing. Only under better conditions with more magnification did I find it. The filter switch diagonal (or a filter slide in a newt) can be very hand to rapidly switch between UHC or O-III and no filter. This produces a blinking effect that has helped my find quite a few tricky ones (like the two Jonckheere ones I bagged)

That sounds a nice project Mark - thanks for sharing the list :smiley:

Interesting that one PN responded poorly to the O-III. After viewing the Veil and NA nebs last night I left the O-III on and tried viewing comet Jacques with it. I thought the comet would look much dimmer but actually it seemed just as bright and contrasty as it had without a filter if not a little better. We don't always get the results we expect :smiley:

Archived