SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginner - which camera?

MeSeany

Just bought (yet to arrive) Skywatcher 200P + Eq5 synscan. I also wanted to make a start with photography so thought Id buy the Orion StarShoot 5 MP Solar System Color Camera.

However - Ive since good things about the Orion StarShoot All-In-One Astrophotography Camera ie that it can take solar and deep space shots and it can also be used as an autoguider later down the line.

Which camera should I go for - being a newbie but wanting to make a start?

What do you want to image?

The first camera has smaller pixels, from what I've read a theoretical advantage for planets and the moon, but the second has four times as many frames per second if you're going to be capturing video, which would likely be 'better' for planets and the moon (most of the best images I've seen of the moon from 'cheap' cameras like this have been from video).  The first supports Macs, the second is windows only.  The second camera also includes an eyepiece so you can use it for optical viewing on your digital screen (that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons!), and as you say can be used as an autoguider.  It also claims long exposure times, but the first doesn't.

If you're just going to take pictures of the moon and planets, you could probably get away with the cheaper one.  If you want deep sky objects, I'd probably go for the second.

What do you want to image?

The first camera has smaller pixels, from what I've read a theoretical advantage for planets and the moon, but the second has four times as many frames per second if you're going to be capturing video, which would likely be 'better' for planets and the moon (most of the best images I've seen of the moon from 'cheap' cameras like this have been from video).  The first supports Macs, the second is windows only.  The second camera also includes an eyepiece so you can use it for optical viewing on your digital screen (that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons!), and as you say can be used as an autoguider.  It also claims long exposure times, but the first doesn't.

If you're just going to take pictures of the moon and planets, you could probably get away with the cheaper one.  If you want deep sky objects, I'd probably go for the second.

If I wanted both solar and deep space sounds like the 2nd one - optical viewing on the pc screen - sounds very good?

I would go for the second one then :-)

Mind you, hopefully someone with more experience will come along and correct if needed -- I've done a lot of research into all of these cams, but am currently planning to modify and XBox camera for my own imaging (mostly because I have one which is not being used and so I'll try it before spending money).

Ive just been told that the following is a better option re solar and deep space (limited) 

QHY5L-II Planetary / Guide Camera - Colour

Just to confuse you a little the Orion all in one camera and the QHY5L are probably the same camera. The Orion 5mp camera I think is the same as the discontinued QHY5T.

Just to confuse you a little the Orion all in one camera and the QHY5L are probably the same camera. The Orion 5mp camera is the same as the discontinued QHY5T.

Thats actually very helpful - the QHY5L is cheaper so :) 

Do you know of a better multipurpose camera re solar and deep space for under £200?

*confused

nonetheless what of the above specified types of cameras would be best for DS?

I think both would be playing at DS - their scanners are too small (sorry cant think of the word) - so my plan is to:

- use them for planetry and simple bright / small DS

- then buy a SLR/DSLR (much bigger scanner for larger DS)

- then use the camera as a guide scope

How do you compare the ZWO ASI120MC to the QHY5L-II

Ii the ASI120MC is any thing like the ASI120MM (mono) it will be a fantastic planetary camera and an excellent guider as well! it also comes with a "fisheye lens" type lens that can be used for all sky videos, never tried it though.

I think both would be playing at DS - their scanners are too small (sorry cant think of the word) - so my plan is to:

- use them for planetry and simple bright / small DS

- then buy a SLR/DSLR (much bigger scanner for larger DS)

- then use the camera as a guide scope

the word your thinking about is "sensor" i like your plan!

Meseany... thats what i call "A PERFECT PLAN" !!!... i will do the same... thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sotein - my Skywatcher 200p + EQ5 goto + QHY5L-II is coming today hopefully... Ill be posting how I get on.

Lots to have a go at - the scope n eq5 cost me £400 2nd hand plus camera QHY5L-II 

A happy man :)

Ii the ASI120MC is any thing like the ASI120MM (mono) it will be a fantastic planetary camera and an excellent guider as well! it also comes with a "fisheye lens" type lens that can be used for all sky videos, never tried it though.

Ive gone for the QHY5L-II more tried n tested :)

the word your thinking about is "sensor" i like your plan!

Yes :) the word did escape me - starting in the junior leagues - but least I can have a go at lots.

I was on my ipad app last night - its got my view shown with all the objects I can see - messiers etc - nice - it also lists the magnitudes so Ill be able to go for the brighter boys first.

These include:

- andromeda

- the 7 sisters

- saturn and mars are up but low

- jupiter is up round 5am but low - but getting higher all the time :)

Archived