Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi, What equipment is recommended for getting the best out of my 8inch DOB SKYWATCHER

Hi. I just bought an 8inch DOB Sky watcher f 1200. I am going camping this weekend and want to buy some stuff to get the best out of my scope. I have a 25mm and 10mm eye piece that came with my scope and thats it. I have no clue what color filters do but wonder if they are worth buying. Any way I'm looking at getting some more eye pieces and filters. Any suggestion? I want to spend about $200 US. I live in California. Thanks everyone!

Filters?  I don't use many on my Dob... UHC, OII, adjustable polarizing filter, and #82A (for Juipter) just about cover it.

Eyepieces?  I really like to recommend a decently priced 8mm-24mm zoom for those who are just starting their collection.  Two decent ones are Meade 4000 series and the Zhumell... the Celestron model would be my last choice.

Clear Skies

I would ignore the usefulness of the 10mm eyepiece, they usually just don't do it well enough.

So for eyepieces that means say an 8mm and a 12mm, along with your 25mm.

For your area of the world try the Astro-Tech Paradigms or the Celestron X-Cels.

Similar performing eyepieces ad similar cost ~ $60.

I think Agensastro do the "Paradigms" under their own brand name at a whole $1 less.

If you can get on with the finder then use it but finders are a bit more of a problem, they are something that you either can use or find difficult. A right angle one does tend to help.

Filters I don't bother with either.

Get yourself a good book of the constellations and what is in each. Helps to have an idea where to point the scope - this is often the last aspect considered.

Have you a small red torch? Even a big red torch.

Hi!

Good advice already. I'd sum up as follows:

• A program for planning your sessions like www.stellarium.org or StarMap for iOS.
  • This book: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972 
  • Red flashlight (or regular one with nailpolish/red candywrapper).
  • Some decent eyepieces to fill the gaps in your magnification range.
  • A white tarp to put underneath the scope (for when you drop accessories on the ground and dont want to spend the night searching).
  • A good finder like a Telrad or RACI.
  • A chair.
  • Warm clothes.
  • A thermos with your beverage of choice.

DARK SKIES!

Thats it. Simple. Even the stock eyepieces will blow you away if you are at a properly dark site - whacking £300 of nagler in the focuser wont make any difference if the sky is a washed out orange from street lamps/city lights.

Hi!

Good advice already. I'd sum up as follows:

• A program for planning your sessions like www.stellarium.org or StarMap for iOS.
  • This book: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972
  • Red flashlight (or regular one with nailpolish/red candywrapper).
  • Some decent eyepieces to fill the gaps in your magnification range.
  • A white tarp to put underneath the scope (for when you drop accessories on the ground and dont want to spend the night searching).
  • A good finder like a Telrad or RACI.
  • A chair.
  • Warm clothes.
  • A thermos with your beverage of choice.

Great additions to any kit and often forgotten.

DARK SKIES!

Thats it. Simple. Even the stock eyepieces will blow you away if you are at a properly dark site - whacking £300 of nagler in the focuser wont make any difference if the sky is a washed out orange from street lamps/city lights.

^^^ This

This is the best advice in this thread. :)

I only have two filters, a water filter in the kitchen, and a solar filter for the ST80.

Although with the recent rains I think I should maybe move the water filter over to the telescope!

A decent low power wide angle EP was my first purchase and always gets used.

Have a good trip.

Thank you guys so much. I guess I should have mentioned I also do have a view finder already and have been using my scope for about 2 months. Im going camping and will have very clear skies as for light pollution. But this is a great site and will encourage more people to use it.

Hi Ya Dave and a very warm welcome to the SGL mate - The most important thing for you to get to get the most out of your dob is NOTHING!!! - just use your eyes mate before you want to dive in and purchase anything - get to know your way around the night sky - maybe just pick out a few objects that you want to look at and concentrate on learning to use the scope - find a feel for it when nudging your way around the sky - keep it very simple and just enjoy - even objects that are really obvious look 100% better in the scope - if you can - stay up till you get moonrise which I think around now is going to be around 3 ish in the morning - very easy to find !!! very easy to observe!! and will give you a few hours of absolute amazement!!!! - early on in the night have a look around the constellation of Cygnus the Swan - nice and east to recognise - don't even pick an object to find - just spend the time sweeping around the brighter portions of the sky (the Milky Way) in this region.

All the best and keep us informed of your "first light" experiences.

Paul.

a telrad or similar will help you point the scope initially and I then use a right angle finder too. you can get by with a straight finder though.

a chair will be a must with that scope and you'll need a decent star map and dim red torch.

read my star hopping guide:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197640-collimation-and-star-hopping/

if you have a barlow and the standard eyepieces you will still get great views. from a dark site you often use less eyepieces as things stand out a lot more. a Oiii filter would be good if you have any spare funds.

davedrinkwater......hi there, +1 for the comments at #5 and #12..Just go and enjoy the experience and learn with what you already have. Although many folk change the supplied 10mm for better optics, the 25mm should do you well for your first trip. If your camping this weekend, anything you intend to purchase probably wouldn't arrive in time anyway. 

Planning your sessions is the big thing. Charts, guide books. Don't go to a dark site and start running a computer of some kind with a planetarium software programme. People with no experience of real dark sites will tell you that you can dim the screen, turn it red, use acetate sheet etc etc but nobody with regular dark site experience would ever do this. Your dark adaptation is utterly vital and it takes a long time to build up. Preserve it at all cost.

Do you have binoculars for wide scans and familiarization? Even cheap ones are a big help before you step up to the scope.

Olly

Archived