Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Street lights at Usk Reservoir.

Ryan_86

Hi guys,

My Dad and I are keen to find dark skies so are  planning a visit in the near future with our light buckets. I was having a scout aroud using google maps and noticed three street lights. Two located leading up to the car park and one in the car park. Do any of you know if these are switched on at night?

Very much appreciated

Ryan

If the national park is an 'international dark sky reserve' and Usk Resevoir is said to be one of the best dark sky sites within the reserve, then I'm curious as to why have they have street lights (if active) there, especially at such a remote location? 

• 7 months later...

visited usk res at the end of last year while camping in the area.

yes the lights are active also where the boats are moored theirs a giant antenna with a very bright red light on it, we swung by on the way home to Reece for future places to go since brecon got its dark skies certificate.

could people recommend a few good spots (still in the learning process but any excuse to get out under a dark sky) 

the best place i found though was llyn brianne  right up their with galloway for darkness.   total accident was on a kayaking trip spent the night in the area .

Hmm, that's interesting, when we went a few months ago none of the approx 4 lights were working (thankfully) and looked as if they haven't done so for some time. No sign of a red light antennae by boat moorings either, just an illuminated anglers permit paying machine by a small hut, which we covered with a blanket. We were well pleased with both sky conditions and horizons, when it wasn't cloudy that is, which cut our visits short the twice we've been there.  :sad:

the best place i found though was llyn brianne  right up their with galloway for darkness.   total accident was on a kayaking trip spent the night in the area .

Llyn Brianne is indeed, awesome. Very quiet at night.

Hmm, that's interesting, when we went a few months ago none of the approx 4 lights were working (thankfully) and looked as if they haven't done so for some time. No sign of a red light antennae by boat moorings either, just an illuminated anglers permit paying machine by a small hut, which we covered with a blanket. We were well pleased with both sky conditions and horizons, when it wasn't cloudy that is, which cut our visits short the twice we've been there. :sad:

I was there last August bank holiday and this is exactly how I remember it.

I would definitely go back there and plan to at some point.

As I recall at least one of the lights looked as if it had been vandalised many moons ago, the others were  really dirty and looked as if they had not been maintained either.  The light near the hut and in front of the house would have been a big problem if it was working. The first time we went there we were biting our nails as darkness was falling wondering if the light was going to come on. If it had then my son's mate was going to shin up the lamp post (they are not very tall) and cover it with a blanket. Obviously we would have got the ok from the house holder first.

We were hoping to get back up there before the short nights set in but I've been disabled with a serious hip problem for the last 6 weeks or so and the boys are scared to go there without me though they won't admit it!.  :rolleyes:   :wink:  

hobsey, I read your posts about being impressed with the place when you went there. That picnic table comes in handy for sticking your gear on too - it's a really nice spot to observe from. 

Archived