SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik 460 or Atik One 6.0

Stu_2011

Hi

In the next week or so I will buy one of these cameras and as usual I'm suffering from a bit of equipment over analysis. It will go on my Esprit 80 scope.

The biggest negative for me with the One 6.0 is the 5 position filter wheel, if it was a 7 or 8 pposition wheel then you could put LRGB + narrowband filters in.

Any comments from users of either cameras? Are the filters easy to change on the One? Is the extra cooling of the One worth it over the 460? The FLO deal on the Atik One 6.0 + OAG + guide camera is attractive to be honest.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit I would go for the Attic One. Everything combined in one unit, nice and compact and therefore, hardly any issues with spacing. Set the Attic One with narrowband and tandem another scope with the 428 OSC and image both at the same time. That's what I do  :grin:

Steve

I'd go with the 460 and a separate filter wheel. A 5-position wheel would be useless to me.

The extra cooling is a moot point, yes it's nice to have but mine runs at just 0degC anyway because of its low noise characteristics. Had it been a Kodak chip things would be different.

chrisH

Two valid points above and they both summarise the pros and cons I have been wrestling with.

Yes I eventually plan to run a parallel setup with my 428 OSC, can you run two cameras within artemis capture?.

It's the 5 position filter wheel that is bothering me on the One.......why is nothing simple in this hobby.??

Stu

It's a pain swapping filters & disturbs the imaging train. I've a 5 position SX mini FW & curse every time I wish I had the other filters installed. Only advantage is inbuilt OAG. Whereas the efw2 is fully loaded & I still have 2 free slots. I was looking forward to the all in one Atiks but don't see the point of just 5 slots when you need to be flexible in the UK & ready for any break in the clouds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if doing narrowband you will often want to use RGB to get the star colours, I cannot imagine swapping filters in the middle of a cold night and, as said, doing so mucks up the camera rotation etc. a 5position wheel just disqualifies itself

ChrisH

Two valid points above and they both summarise the pros and cons I have been wrestling with.

Yes I eventually plan to run a parallel setup with my 428 OSC, can you run two cameras within artemis capture?.

It's the 5 position filter wheel that is bothering me on the One.......why is nothing simple in this hobby.??

Stu

I've run 3 Atiks with Artemis but you run 3 separate instances. Only controls Atik FW's though so I run maxim with main & guider, Artemis & nebulosity for other 2. I had weird lockups running all 3 on Artemis early on too same with multiple Nebs. So decided to stick running on 3 separate progs & that was ok.

The deal is good at first glance but to me it's distracting & false economy. As you've found out, when you think about it it's not that practical in the real world. I've also been looking for a larger sensor for a while & come to the conclusion I either go separate or go all in one 8 pos. QSI. Which means waiting even longer to save for it.

The deal is good at first glance but to me it's distracting & false economy. As you've found out, when you think about it it's not that practical in the real world. I've also been looking for a larger sensor for a while & come to the conclusion I either go separate or go all in one 8 pos. QSI. Which means waiting even longer to save for it.

I'm leaning towards the 460 + filter wheel. I like the thought of all filters on one carousel.

Cheers

Can not comment on the 460, but swapping the filters on the One 6.0 is very easy.  You just remove the OAG holder via three Alan key screws.  Then, using the supplied filter removal tool, just screw in / unscrew the filters.  When doing this, you have to manually turn the filter wheel with your fingers (or a pointy thing if you have big fingers), but this is not too hard if you are careful.  Having said all of this, this is something which I would only do in a dry, well lit room and I would not try it a dark, damp field :).

How about a QSI? All in one package with filter wheel and OAG - Just screw in a Lodestar and you are ready to go. The 660 (same chip as the 460) has an 8 position filter wheel. The cooling is down to -45 degrees below ambient. Having moved from an Atik 460 to a QSI, I can say that the build quality alone is head and shoulders above the Atik .... In my opinion.

One way to change the filters on any system with a minimum of disturbance is to set the CW bar to horizontal with a small spirit level. SInce I almost always have the camera orthogonal to RA and Dec this means it, too, will be horizontal/vertical. (Square Atiks are square so the spirit level can be put on the body once the filters are changed. Round ones have an accurately aligned sticker on the back which can be used.) So once the filters are changed you can be as near as dammit back to where you were before and your flats and framing will be unaffected.

This is not to argue against the virtues of a large wheel, it's just a way of mitigating its absence...

Cooling on the Sony chips? Does it matter much? It certainly does on the Kodaks, though.

QSI are indeed very well made but my Atiks are in commercial use and are very reliable indeed. I can't say I find anything to complain about in the build. QSI got it right with the 8 position wheel, though. If I were Steve and Rui I'd be thinking about going the same way. I like having the factory on my side of the Atlantic. One of our guests had a problem with his QSI and they stuck to the letter of the gurantee, which was just out. I don't believe Atik would have done that.

If you have a separate wheel I suppose you are more future proofed in that it allows you to change camera format with just a change of carousel should you go to full frame, for instance.

There are quite a few makes of camera I wouln't buy but Atik and QSI are not amongst them.

Olly

I went 5 posistion only to upgrade it i should of gone with the 8 qsi in the first place.

Atik are dabbling with intergration, they reallly need to get it sorted its a half way house at present.

Personally id go with either QSI WSG-8 or look into Morovian.

Thanks for all your comments, I think I'm leaning towards the Atik 460 + separate filter wheel.

The QSI option is just a bit too far on the money front for me. I'm very impressed with my Atik 428 OSC so don't see a reason to change suppliers.

Still have a few days to decide......

In my opinion, an 8 position filter wheel ends up creating an ugly and big unit.  The Atik One is quite tempting to me but if it had 2 filter wheels side by side then it would be a complete winner.  Each wheel would have 5 positions which would be the equivalent of a single 8 position wheel as follows:  Wheel 1 would have LRGB + blank and wheel 2 would have the narrowband filters + blank.  The driving electronics could pretend it's a single 8 position wheel. 

I wonder why no manfacturer does this?

Mark

In my opinion, an 8 position filter wheel ends up creating an ugly and big unit.  The Atik One is quite tempting to me but if it had 2 filter wheels side by side then it would be a complete winner.  Each wheel would have 5 positions which would be the equivalent of a single 8 position wheel as follows:  Wheel 1 would have LRGB + blank and wheel 2 would have the narrowband filters + blank.  The driving electronics could pretend it's a single 8 position wheel. 

I wonder why no manfacturer does this?

Mark

FLI already do. If you look at the weight and price then it's easy to see why no-one knows much about them.

Dave.

Compactness isn't just pretty. It can be easier to get your rig to go further past the meridian, for instance, with a small package. With a separate wheel and Atik's ability to rotate the camera behind the wheel you can put the wheel in a favourable position flip-wise. One for the separate wheel, maybe?

Olly

Archived