SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the Baader Hyperion 5mm good for planet viewing?

Hi all would the Baader Hyperion 5mm be good for looking at planets? I do like the eye relief on these EP. I already have the baader 5mm orth eyepiece but it is tiny. Thanks in advance.

I think the Hyperion will be more comfortable to use that the Ortho because it's eyelens is much larger and the eye relief much greater. The Hyperions also have a bigger field of view at 68 degrees compared to the Orthos 45 degrees. That said, optically the Ortho might shade the Hyperion if the issues listed above don't bother you.

Personally I'm prepared to trade the ultimate in contrast for a little viewing comfort - I've got a 3.5mm Hyperion on it's way to me :D

John

I'm yet to be able to compare, but I have a 5mm Hyperion on order, hopefully arriving in the post today, which I'm going to be using instead of the 5mm ortho for the same reasons that John stated. I have a 17mm Hyperion and it's just so much easier to use than the other ep's I have.

My 5mm Hyperion just arrived. I've done a quick comparison test between the Hyperion and the Ortho on my usual fence, and it's so much easier to use. The Ortho is a good little eyepiece but the exit pupil is very small, and the eye relief is quite short. Also, the eye position on the exit lens is pretty particular. Now, the Hyperion by comparison, is a dream to use. Long eye relief, really wide exit pupil, get the eye at about the right position, easy with the eye cup in place, and the image is viewed in a relaxed and easy way. The FOV seen between the two is also significantly different. The Hyperion shows what looks like about twice the field of the Ortho. This is estimated based on the amount of fencing seen around the post. This may just be me, but achieving focus on the Hyperion also seems easier, perhaps it's a little less sensitive to being spot on. This is purely a subjective test. I don't claim to have enough experience to be able to carry out a proper like for like comparison. I also doubt I'll be able to test it properly for some time, but I'm looking forward to giving it a tryout.

My 5mm Hyperion probably gets used the most for planetary observing as the 3.5mm is considerably more dependant on seeing conditions to give an acceptable image. On a f5 8" newtonian, that'll give you a magnification of x200 which isn't too shabby at all :D.

Tony..

My 5mm Hyperion is my number one choice for planetary viewing. Basically for the comfort reasons given above. Where it lacks in absolute optical quality of other EPs, it makes up for in FOV, exit pupil size and ease of use.

In fact I've been that impressed, I've recently acquired the 9-25 zoom Hyperion EP as well.

Here's an extract from my blog where I carried out a brief comparison between an Ortho and the Hyperion.

"I got outside for about ten minutes to do a quick comparison between the 5mm Ortho and the 5mm Hyperion. I used the barlow to take the magnification in both cases to 160x trying to push each ep. I found that focusing the Ortho was more challenging than the Hyperion at this magnification. I'm not sure why, I guess the extra lens structures in the Hyperion make it less sensitive to variarions in the light cone from the Objective lens. I picked Saturn as the target of my little test. Once focussed, I was able to see the rings, the gap between the rings and the planet and at least one moon in the Ortho. In the Hyperion, I was able to see all this and another moon further out. Saturn shot through the FOV of the Ortho in a very short time whereas it took a lot longer to travel through the Hyperion FOV, approximately twice as long, which made observing Saturn significantly easier and the feeling of being rushed was no longer there. The longer eye relief and the larger exit pupil, just make the Hyperion much easier on the eye to use. I'm really glad I have this second Hyperion."

HTH

Yes, you get more field of view and more eye relief with the Hyperion. :D

The exit pupil isn't the size of the object (although it will be the same in all 5mm eyepeices), its the total size of the image (ie. the object and all the field of view the eyepiece will give) that exits the eyepiece.

Just sold a 3.5 Hyperion (hope you enjoy it John) and bought a 5mm Baader ortho......hows that for reverse psychology........the hyperion was amazing on the moon and really comfortable to use......im just playing the field, see whats out there......sell one buy one sort of thing....i bought a 13mm widescan for 200 quid and have nothing but contempt for it, apart from its field of view ive had better results from a cheap plossl.

I will definitely buy some lower power Hyperions.

Mike

The exit pupil isn't the size of the object (although it will be the same in all 5mm eyepeices), its the total size of the image (ie. the object and all the field of view the eyepiece will give) that exits the eyepiece.

This is true. :D

But, even as a Hyperion lover, I do wonder sometimes if a slight case in favour of the old "ortho" cannot also be consructed from similar arguments. I know e.g. with a MAK127 (f=1500), the exit pupil (sic) can get quite small! Coupled with long eye relief, my glasses, and local ambient light levels, I sometimes find - Or rather CAN'T find(!), the bloomin' thing [exit pupil] in all that expanse of Hyperion (eye) glass. At least, with a typical Ortho, you know (approx.) where to look? :mrgreen:

Gaz, thanks for the information on the Eye Relief. Why does the Hyperion view appear to be so much wider than the ortho ? Is that just an optical effect of the Hyperion when viewing ?

The Hyperion really does show a wider field (ie: more sky) than the equivilent ortho - it's not just an optical effect. It's really easy to get muddled up with the terms "true field of view (TFoV)", "aparrent field of view (AFoV)", "eyerelief" and "exit pupil".

Here is a link to a good, if a little out of date, explanation of these terms:

http://www.observers.org/beginner/eyepieces.freeman.html

John

Have a 13mm and a 21mm hyperion was thinking about getting a 2.5mm or a 5mm.

Any suggestions on which one i should get and i have both fine tuning rings.

If you could help me out i would be most gratefull.

Davey.

If I had to choose just one, I'd go for the 5mm.

Tony..

Orderd my 5mm Hyperion about 30 minutes before FLO'S offer ran out

Had my eye on one but did not expect them to go up in price, expected the reverse.

As a newbie i am quite impressed by the moon, so if i do not see much of the planets with it then i will be quite happy observing moon craters as i am fairly impressed with some of the photos in here.

Thanks for the post it was a interesting one and went and reinforced my method of thinking, gave me a push and bought a 5mm Baader Hyperion LOL.

Davey.

• 6 years later...

Hello, I've read that Hyperions are not ideal for fast, say f5 Newtons.

I am interested in the Hyperion 5mm for the ER.

Anyone steer me one way or the other.

I do already have the Baader 6mm BCO so maybe do not bother. Yes, I have a lot more to learn about EPs.

Archived