Narrowband

Where to install the obsy

Sotein

Hello there. Im from Chile

Do u think this is a good place to install permamently my telescope?? It is the roof of my room. I will be a littler bloqued to the north. But rest of the sky looks good

Comments please !!ja4e5aga.jpg

Hi Soetin,

The view looks excellent but there are specific problems with roof mounted observatories that need to be overcome.  It can be difficult to ensure the pier is efficient at damping vibrations.  There is also a problem from radiated heat from the building itself which in turn can hamper seeing.  If you are looking for visual use only then these may not be such a problem.  Are you unable to place the observatory at ground level say in a garden?

Other things to consider are the roof structure, its load bearing ability and how you would ensure you do not damage its water tightness.  Having said all that you may want to take a look at the balcony observatory threads which are currently running.  Good luck with your build.

Jimmy

Jimmy

Thanks for ur answer Saac... really aprecciate it

What i would like to do is control the telescope from a room inside the house... so i will touch the scope just for the initial alignment, focusing... and something else.. apart from that.. i will be outside with no one around to move it...

I wont use a Pier... i will just use the tripod...

I didnt think about the heat there... mm... too bad cos i want to do AP there... is it really a big problem?

I havent any place in the garden for it... pretty sad about it...

I dont know what to do now.... i just need a place to leave the scope with no one around... and control it from lets say 20' .... 

thanks again

Hi Sotein,

If you are planning on using a tripod then I would go ahead set up and experiment with the position to see what works.  The re radiation of heat from building structures is dependent upon a few things most notably temperature difference, material and colour.  I have noticed the effect myself particularly in the winter when I try to view targets that sit just above my roofline of my house (slate roof).  But here there is quite a high temperature gradient especially in the winter time.  To be honest seeing as you are planning on using a tripod I would set up and experiment.

What is your weather and sky quality like.  Am I right in thinking you have a lot of clear nights?  If so you are really lucky, it looks beautiful from your photograph.

Oh, you may want to look at some of the threads about using an electric focus control - plenty commercial ones available (can be pricey) but you can also make one relatively easily. They make focusing so much easier and smoother.  But to be honest I would take it a step at a time, I'm very much still learning and putting together my setup.  Experiment with photographs of the moon using your phone or camera at the eyepiece  - its amazing what you can achieve.  Then maybe think about modifying a web camera.  There are lots of examples on the Diy Astronomy thread.

I

Jim

Thanks for all the info Jim !! I already captured the moon and some nebulaes with my Canon 1100d. But the problem is always the alignment. The tracking is not so perfect. I think i need an autoguider cam. You r right about my skies !! Pretty much clear even in winter !! Its Chile u know!!?? The country of the big observatorys !! Jejeje lucky me. Sadly, theres no much people on astronomy here since the equipment are very expensive. Ok. I will follow your advise en begin to test and test and test. Thanks again

Yes, guiding, that's my next ambition.  How about sending some of your lovely clear skies over here, we have lovely grey wet skies :p

What about polar alignment will you be able to do that from your roof top location?  I find the setup time, including polar alignment,  one of my limiting factors at the moment so I'm looking forward to having it permanently set up hopefully by next . Have you had a look at the micro balcony observatory thread, you my get some ideas there on how you might be able to make your setup permanent.  Good luck experimenting, maybe you could post some photographs of your setup once you get it sorted.

Jim

Archived