Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Solar camera

Davey-T

Thats the one im using. Very minimum 2 images for a full disk with lunt60, cannot compare to other cameras as this is only one ive used and the spec is just a load of numbers, but im happy with what im getting out of it so far.

It uses the same chip as the Point Grey Chameleon camera (see my solar images on the My Website below). The electronics look better on the Skyiris camera though as it can run at 30fps (the Chameleon runs at a max of 18fps).

An alternative would be the Blackfly 1.3MP (BFLY-U3-13S2M-CS), which uses the same chip. That is USB3 and 30fps and is shipped from Point Greys EU store for €376 (£299). The Skyiris looks overpriced to me, to be honest.

http://eu.ptgreystore.com/blackfly-13-mp-mono-usb-30-icx445-3

I wonder if anyone has tried this one:

Blackfly 5.0 MP Mono GigE PoE
Technical Specifications
  • Aptina MT9P031 1/2.5" Rolling Shutter CMOS
  • 2592 x 1944 at 13 FPS
  • Mono, CS-Mount
  • Gigabit Ethernet with Power over Ethernet
  • 29 x 29 x 30 mm
  • 6-pin Hirose HR10 GPIO opto-isolated pins
  • Power supply, tripod mount, C-mount adapter NOT included
Part Number: BFLY-PGE-50A2M-CS
It's only 13fps but look at the size of that sensor! And its only €245 +tax and shipping (plus you'd need a Gig-E card in the PC). QHY are using the same chip in their upcoming QHY5P-II. It could be a lot of chip for not much money....

Micron/Aptina sensors like to give Newton rings - not removable by tilting. If you like making solar flats to remove them then you can try ;) That's what some AS120/QH5L-II are doing to get their H-alpha shots.

Thats what concerns me TBH.

The NRs seem to be a bit hit-and-miss with some people plauged by them and others less so. I've not seen any reports of this sensor being used for solar imaging, over and above the report in the QHY forum that I linked to. I'd like to see a recognised solar imager's results first.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a video camera with interlaced shutter sensor - and that makes it rather unusable for Solar System imaging.

Thanks, will cross it off the list :)

Is there any advantage / disadvantage in having 1/2" sensor as opposed to a 1/3" sensor ? using LS60DS

Dave

Bigger diagonal will catch more Sun. There are cameras with 1/1.8" e2v sensor and there is 1/3" Sony ICX445. Both have similar pixel count, although Sony with smaller diagonal will have smaller pixels. With a telescope the e2v will show more, while ICX445 will show less but in higher resolution (like if you would use e2v with a Barlow).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived